Monday, November 08, 2010

Reality Check

Getting through the candy haze of Halloween made me stop and realize something. I've completely lost track of what I eat on a daily basis, and have damn near zero self control anymore. It's a harsh reality to face, but it's important. I topped the scale this morning at a whopping 192.5, which is easily 10 lbs over where I like to be. With Thanksgiving right around the corner and Christmas after that, it isn't going to get any easier.

Instead of trying to put it off until the New Year, I'm going to nip this in the bud right now. The easiest thing for me is to simply flip the switch back to "off", as in "off-limits". No more excuses like "Well, I'm running 25 miles this weekend..." because, quite frankly, I'm not! I used the marathon training as an excuse to fall off the food wagon. Time to get back on.

With any big swing like this, there has to be a little give and take. Just saying a ton of stuff is off limits won't work, because if I don't reward myself in some other way, it will back fire. So I'm going to put diet pop back on the menu and enjoy my one unhealthy indulgence. To counter that, I'm going to take coffee off the menu, which although not high in calories, was a "gateway" drink for me. Because I can't drink coffee black, I have to put the equivalent of 6 teaspoons of sugar in it via artificial sweetener. This in turn makes me crave sweets throughout the day. And of course, the remainder of the off-limits list includes the basic "no wasted calories" crap, which is everything from candy, to snacks, to free food at work, etc.

The first week will be hard, but if I can get into the swing of some new habits before Thanksgiving hits, I'll be in good shape to limit my food intake over the holidays. Once I've got that all under control, I can shift my focus to my eventual goals of weight training. I've been sent a few ideas in email and been doing a little research on my own. I think I'll have a good plan come New Years.

1 comment:

yu said...

I hope you'll have a good luck.