Saturday, June 11, 2011

Change

Exactly 6 years ago today, I started blogging. It was even a Saturday, just like today. I started my blog for a variety of reasons, but over time, things changed. My audience changed, I was aware of who was reading my blog. I started censoring my posts in ways that ultimately irked me. I wasn't blogging for me anymore, which is the main reason I started in the first place.

So I stopped. I took a few months off. But I am in need of a change. So I thought on the anniversary of my first blog, why not start up again? Get back to the basics and focus on the important stuff, like change.

Change is hardest for me when I have no reason to change. When life is chugging right along and everything is in order. Having kids was the biggest reason I ever had to bring about change, which ended up being a catalyst for so much more. But now that boat has sailed, I find change coming harder.

The things I want to change are subtle. Like trying to not get angry with Megan so much when she does crazy things like pour a bottle of olive oil all over the counter. Or subtle changes to my eating and exercise habits. They are changes that from an outside perspective, no one would even know about. But at the same time, they are changes that are important to me and that I need and want to make.

So on the eve of my 35 birthday, I'm making a few long term commitments to my self. A series of changes that only I know about, but that I want to make. I'm calling it my 5-year plan. My hopes are that it gets me where I want to be when I hit what I assume will be a next big mile stone, the dreaded FOUR-OH. That mid life crisis is looming out there, I just know it.

To go along with these changes, my blog has changed as well. The new title hopefully reflecting that change, along with the "back to the basics" layout. Time to focus on the important stuff.

1 comment:

Bill Roehl said...

Happy birthday.