Sunday, July 13, 2008

Old and New

Still two words Megan likes to use, and she definitely understands the concepts behind them. Recently she wore a "new" pair of shoes, and she put the two words together, "new shoes". That's not exactly what this post is about...

17 years ago when my father passed away, one of my uncles planted a pine tree in our front yard in his memory. I remember it well, barely 4 feet tall. The sad news is that the recent storms in our area knocked the now 25 foot tree right over.



It was pretty sad to hear about the news that the tree had fallen over. Later we learned that the roots had already started to rot, and so that is most likely why it fell over so easily. Still, I know my Mom probably had some tears over it even if she didn't admit to me.

But it's funny how life works. There are two sides to everything. And with the death of that tree brings the birth of a new one. This one planted by Grandma and Papa B, one for each of their grand kids. The same day that we saw the downed tree we also saw the new tree.





It didn't even dawn on me the significance of the two events until I uploaded the pictures from my camera. As I started going through them, and I saw these pictures back to back, it was like something clicked. One of those moments that can't help but feel more than just random coincidence. What are the odds that on the same day, I would happen to see both trees, one fallen and one new, both having been planted for someone I love and care about?

I'm not saying I had some kind of spiritual epiphany, but I have to admit the feeling was hard to rule out as pure chance. And to be completely honest, deep down, it just felt good to think that maybe Dad just needed a change of scenery, and wanted to be a part of "Megan's Tree".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawn-How beautifully poignant your post was. It touched me and I really appreciate what you wrote. Tell the B family to take good care of that tree!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Shawn, I'm one of your mom's (old) friends. I know how touched your mom was by your message and wanted to also express how heart warming it was to read. Thank you for sharing,
Lyn