Friday, September 24, 2010

The Big One

I've been hinting about it for a few weeks now. Mentioning my summer training, a different "style" of training, and my first attempts at interval training and speedwork (strideouts). So what is the big mystery? Can you guess?

Yes, I decided to train for and run my first marathon this year. The Twin Cities Marathon to be exact. Why did I keep it a big secret? I honestly don't know. I didn't even tell Andrea until a week before I started the training, despite the fact that I had signed up months earlier. I suppose it was because I hadn't fully decided why I was running a marathon yet. Was it just to see if I could do it? Was it for some bigger reason? I wasn't sure.

In the end, I've come to terms with why I'm doing it. And that will remain my special secret, and my special source of motivation while I'm out there. I've trained really hard this summer to not just finish a marathon, but RUN a marathon. I would consider my goal aggressive for a first time marathon. I also am confident that as long as there are not huge factors against me, I can achieve it.

Huge factors include: weather & injury. Weather is out of my control, but injury isn't. And tonight, after a 5 mile strideout session, I've developed one heck of a shin splint. I'm trying to remain calm. I've healed quickly in the past. Tomorrow is a rest day. Should I skip my last long run Sunday? Maybe... I'll see how it feels then. My buddy says it's a pre-marathon phantom pain. But it sure does hurt for being a "phantom".

The race is in 9 days, on October 3rd. For those not familiar with the TC Marathon, it starts in downtown Minneapolis, runs around the lakes where so many other races are done, towards Lake Nokomis, up along the Mississippi, and then straight over into St. Paul, ending at the Capital. Here is an interactive map link. The marathon starts at 8am, so feel free to come on down and cheer for me. I'll post more info closer to that weekend, including where I should be at various times. You can also follow my progress with automatic text updates. Just register here, using my name or bib number.

Text updates on Shawn's marathon progress! Bib number 858.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Cool Link. I added you, Derek and a guy I know from work who is running.

Steve Eck said...

Good luck! I am confident you will be just fine.