Monday, September 27, 2010

Thrill Seeker

I like that I have an adventurous daughter. I like that Megan and I have been on roller coasters together. Megan doesn't seem to have much fear when it comes to trying new things, and long term, that's a positive quality to have in my opinion. In my experience, it's always my fear of something that prevents me from doing something cool.

What I don't like is how that fearlessness translates into a 5-year old. It means she has no fear going down the street, to walk head long into other families going-ons. It means she wants to explore and meet and play with all the kids on her block (of which there are quite a few now in her age range). But mostly it means going places without telling Mom and Dad, thus we get scared because we don't know where she is. So until we get that figured out, it's back to the drawing board. No more alone time outside until we get those limits and restrictions being followed consistently.

However, on the positive side, having an adventurous daughter translated into an AWESOME fun time at the Renaissance Festival! The last time we went was back in 2008, so Megan would have just been turning 3. I think it was a much bigger experience for her this year, and hopefully the start of a longer tradition.

Oddly enough, the little fairy girl at the entrance handing out magic stones was there again this year. We made our rounds, stopped at a few shows, but the big draw for Megan this year were all the crazy activities and rides. Megan wanted to try it all!

We came across a reptile display, and a huge boa was out. Everyone was crowded around, and the gal asked if anyone had any questions. Megan was quick to ask if snakes were mean.

After the snakes, I saw a climbing tower. I thought we'd give it a shot, and Megan got super excited. Next thing I know she's climbing up this thing like a crazy monkey. She could have kept going higher, but then looked back to realize how high she had gotten and wanted to come down.


She also had an awesome time on a human powered horse swing and jumped on the back of a guy who said he was a bench. Megan laughed and told him he wasn't a bench, but he insisted (don't worry, I made sure she tipped well).


But the kicker was the bungee cord trampoline. I was honestly worried about it, but Megan had a killer time. In fact, she had so much fun she insisted I let her do it one more time. She went even higher the second time. Check out this video:



I think we will be going again next year.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

She is so awesome!

Scooter said...

Great seeing you at the Scavenger Hunt! Did you find everything? We had to finish up the hunt by Android light.