Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Two Dreaded W's

Okay, so it's been a long time since my last post. At least I didn't wait a full two weeks! My lack of posting has come because of two W's: Work and World of Warcraft. Maybe that is three W's.

If you're a frequent visitor to my blog, you should recall that I've been mentioning off and on about my "big ideas" at work. Although I came up with the ideas well over one and half years ago, it wasn't until this summer that things really got off the ground. It started in May with the first opportunity to share my ideas to the right audience, which lead to a series of further meetings up the chain until I finally reached high enough to the decision maker level. Next thing I know, my ideas are picked to go full steam ahead as the next big project, and I'm given the opportunity to lead the project. Pretty exciting stuff. The flip side is that, it basically means I am always thinking about work. All the time. I mean, all the time. I've gone running more than a half dozen times since the marathon and every single one has been consumed with thoughts about work.

Mostly I'm working out technical problems in my head. Redesigning a major portion of 10 year old software isn't exactly straight forward. To add to all this, is the timeline. What I would have wanted 4-6 months to complete, I'm being asked to do in 3. Stress? Maybe. Okay, yeah. Just a little. On the plus side, I got to more or less pick the team by hand, and they are all very excited about doing something totally new and working with the latest technologies. It should be a rather fun (albeit stressful) couple of months.

Sometime around the beginning of Sept I started up a new WoW account. In part because the marathon training was coming to an end and also because I was winding down some other games I had bought. I honestly tried to squeeze as much gaming out of the single player games I had. In the end, the coming back to WoW ended up being a lot of fun and there is a new expansion coming out in a month. This has got to be like the 4th or 5th time I've come back to WoW after a year long break. We'll see how long I last this time.

3 comments:

yui said...

Hi. I regularly visit your blog.
Your story makes me fun and I can't wait the next update!
I'll write soon.

Andi said...

Your story makes me fun too. I love you.

spock74 said...

All your stories make me fun!