Friday, November 21, 2008

1am wake up call

You may recall at the beginning of the month I was mentioning having tough sleeping times at night. Well, it's 1am and I'm having another one. We went to bed around 9pm with Megan sleeping in our bed. She was having a rough night so we just decided to lay down. Fast forward to 12:30am and Andrea asked if I would move Megan down to her bed. It didn't go so well and by the end of it I was wide awake. After tossing and turning for 30 minutes, I decided to just get out of bed.

Oddly, work isn't the main thing keeping me up at this point. Oh, don't get me wrong. It's contributing no doubt. Today I stood up in front of a room full of CEOs, CIOs, CFOs, COOs, VPs, and directors (15-20 total?). Nerve wracking? Just a little bit. I survived, and now have one more life experience in my back pocket to draw from. Should I need to do it again, I'll probably do an even better job of it. Thankfully, my portion was a mere 10 minutes.

No, the thing keeping me up tonight is... drum roll... my hobby! Yes, sadly my one remaining form of entertainment, Dungeons and Dragons, is keeping me up. My mind is running through scenarios, ideas, plot lines, and all the rest. Added to that are my struggles with getting people together, and my constant thoughts of "Oh jeez, I should just give this all up." I've basically forced the guys I play with to give me more feedback that they actually enjoy playing enough to keep going. Because without that feedback, it just felt like I was forcing them to play for my own amusement.

We will be "playing" Saturday night. I put the quotes around playing, because honestly, I don't even know how much playing we will actually do. My brother won't be there, so that's one short already. Another guy is most likely working late, and hasn't got back to me with a specific time. So that leaves only 3 others... Not that we CAN'T run the session with 3 players and me, but it just makes it much more difficult. Not to mention, the whole continuity thing of "Oh and now that Neal is here, his guy magically comes walking in from around the corner."

I've also been putting together an "Adventure Website" for my own personal fun. I'd say in total, it was around 10 hours of work, so not too bad all things considered. The hardest part was finding a good starting template. I think I spent a whole hour searching google and finding something simple that I liked. The end result is sort of neat, and I thought it would be a fun way to track the adventure over time. And give the "storyline" more life, so the players could look back and review "Okay, what the heck happened 4 weeks ago at the last session?".

Shawn's crazy "I have too much time on my hands" AD&D Web site

Now I suppose, I'll try to go get some sleep. Gotta work in 4 hours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Shawn's website great ppl?

Oh and Shawn, what's wrong with forcing people to play with you for your own amusement? *snicker* Maybe they secretly complain but you know they most likely enjoy it.