Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sure Happy It's Thursday

Note: Blog title last used Thursday, March 02, 2006

Just to prove my unoriginality, I even copy from myself. Neat huh? Apparently that is the first time I had ever posted about work... weird. One of the things about work is that you can typically drone on for long periods of time, discussing in vague terms problems, struggles, communication issues, things that aren't being done well by management, etc. But the truth is, all that stuff is just bull shit rambling about things that have no meaning. (something I excel at)

In the 10 plus years that I've worked at the bottom of the ladder in my cube farm, the reality I've come to see is this: the people at the bottom doing all the work don't have enough power to make any decent change and the people at the top making all the decisions don't understand enough about how things really are to make good decisions.

In the end, people seem to just float along, some causing positive waves, some causing negative waves, but for the most part, just going along for the ride. And in the end, hoping that the ship doesn't sink so they can keep getting a paycheck. It isn't that people don't want to do a "good job" or "work hard", it's just that when the ship is so large, doing anything to change the course is pretty much impossible.

The cool part about being at the bottom of the ladder is this: if an iceberg is coming, you are usually the first one to see it way before anyone else. Not that I see any on the horizon right now, but I have my predictions. And in my experience, my predictions tend to turn out correct more often than I would like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

are they predictions or self-fulfilling profecies?

Anonymous said...

Shawn would probably say something like it's pretty hard to have a self-fulfilling prophecy in a large company.