Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I blog. A a dog licks himself.

Coming up on 4 years of this silly blog, makes me wonder why I've kept it going so long. At first it was for me, then it was to post pictures of Megan, then it was to bitch. But for the most part it's always been for me. My own little exaggerated sense of self-importance. The truth is, I blog for the same reason a dog licks himself. Sad? Maybe.

This week isn't getting any better. Work sucks, but no longer do I feel there is anyone to blame. I can finally see the machine for what it is. No one is at fault for being a part of the machine, it's how we all collect a pay check. Be a part of the system, don't fight it. (please, no comments about how I can choose to do something else, change jobs, find meaning in a job, etc.) Still, some days it feels like I'm the only one motivated to do better work simply because I like income. And because of the fact that I want to make a product that sells well, the customers like, and that helps generate more revenue, (so I have more chance at increased income) I'm the bad guy for pointing out obvious bad things. Yeah! Go me! I'm a team player!

I'm not even going to get started about the weather... I signed up for this stupid 10 mile run this weekend, and it's like 5 below out side. Why did I sign up? For the free T-shirt... Hey wait, I just picked up the shirt today. Why run in the cold? Motivation is slowly slipping away.

Aside from that, last Sunday was awesome. It was probably the best day I've had in quite some time. It wasn't without it's down sides as well, but whatever. I enjoyed Watchmen VERY much, and need to see it again. It was the best movie I have seen in quite some time. Anyone that doesn't like it should read the comic, then see it again. If you still don't like the movie, then you probably just don't like the story (or the comic).

Here's a new one. Megan just fell asleep in my arms while writing this post. Did I just bore her to sleep? Quite possibly... It's 7:30pm, or technically 6:30pm prior to day lights savings. Somehow I have this odd feeling that putting her in her bed to sleep right now is going to be an all time back fire. Who needs sleep anyway, it's overrated. See you at 2am Megan!

4 comments:

brent said...

shawn, what you need to do is try to really focus on strategies at work that will paint a clear picture of the true meaning of happiness at work.

HA HA. kidding of course.

on the bright side, so far the weather pundits are forecasting a fairly warm saturday! nice! DEWWW IT.

thx for the call the other night. will call u fri or so (kate going to michigan).

maybe i should have email this instead of comment? i'm too lazy to cut and paste now. i am a very busy man you know.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey. I don't know what to say. You need a vacation. I think the Dells is going to be very good for you. Everybody needs their own place to become self-exaggerated btw. Why do you think Facebook is so popular? ha!

My motivation with Megan (my job)is flagging too, and my goals were so crystal-clear last year at about this time. Maybe visualize the end product? That helps me with Megan sometimes...

The weather, like life, will change. In fact, it's supposed to be a high of 44 on Saturday. You'll do the run. I know you and you can't proudly wear a shirt of a race you didn't run.

BTW ppl Shawn is right. Watchmen is a finely crafted film. Besides the fact it was visually stunning (this coming from me, a person who'd rather read a book) the story was detailed enough you could have a good discussion about the characters at the end.

And yeah we did get burned with Megan last night but hey not until 4am right?

Anonymous said...

My kids were completely screwed up for at least a week after day light savings. Luke falling asleep VERY early just like Megan and then waking up in the middle of the night to "cuddle." At least he went back to sleep when I put him back to bed. But getting them both up the next morning to get Melanie to school - it was a nightmare for at least a week! I definitely empathize with you on that one!

Anonymous said...

Oh - one more thing. I'm not sure what you meant by a dog licking himself. But, me being a dog person and knowing that you are not, I just have to say, I've had my dog for 9+ years now and have observed a lot of her behavior and I KNOW she licks herself to clean herself. So, maybe your bloggin "cleans" your psyche?