Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Eerie Resemblance

Going through photos of Casey quickly had me looking back at baby pictures of Megan. I had done a few glances back already to note that Megan also had the dark head of hair initially that turned into her dark blonde color. Looking back again I started to see even more similarities. So I had to put together a couple side by sides:





Fun and scary at the same time! They definitely have a lot of similar features. It will be interesting to do another comparison at 6 months and a year. I have this feeling that Megan and Casey will be the kind of siblings that you meet and go, "Oh they must be sisters." But who knows? Maybe Megan will dye her hair Pinkalicious.

So what else have we learned in our first week of being new parents again? I think the easiest way to describe it would be this: although the basics come easy, there are a host of NEW challenges we find ourselves facing. Megan was a challenge in and of herself some days. Andrea tells me I'm getting a skewed perspective, but be that as it may, it is the reality now. Megan has to "adjust" to her new sibling. It's clear that Casey causes all sorts of new emotions for her, from loving, caring, to jealousy too. She has no way to "communicate" those feelings and so they come out in the only ways a 3 and half year old knows how. (most not very positive) Our trick as parents are to remain calm, connected to her needs, and make sure she knows we both love her the same as before. Not an easy task, but I think we are up to it!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Fit in as many one on one times with Megan as you can - especially Andrea needs to do this. I so remember how hard those first few days with Luke were. Luke resembled Melanie so much when he was born both Jason and I were actually speechless from the shock of the similarities.