Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Order has shipped!

I got an email yesterday that my new Dell PC was going to be delayed by a week, putting the delivery 2 weeks out. I was a little dissapointed... But that is nothing compared to when I bought my Alienware. I put the purchase in for my Alienware in on June 6th, 2004 and it didn't ship until July 23rd, almost 2 full months later.

Then I got another email today saying the computer has shipped and will be here Saturday! Isn't it funny how much BETTER news is when it contradicts previously bad news?

Yes, that is the big news - I bought a new PC. My current PC is now offically past it's prime, being over 5 years old. Not a bad run, and honestly, it can still run some of the mildly older games decently (2007ish). It just falls short on all the new games due to Shader Model 3.0. I paid more for my Alienware then I had ever paid for any computer previous. However, it did include a DOPE purple paint job, matching purple keyboard and mouse, a HUGE 21" inch CRT monitor, and a 5.1 speaker set.

When I told Andrea earlier this year I had my sights set on the possibility of upgrading this year, she wasn't all that supportive. With too many unknown factors, costs associated with Casey and our other financial goals, I understood. So we agreed that I could put it off until next year.

Well, part of that whole decision was an assumption Andrea had that a new PC meant another Alienware type investment. Out of the blue the other day, she asked me how much a new PC would cost me, and when I told her what it would be (a third of the cost of my Alienware), it didn't seem all that big of a deal. So she gave the green light, and I went for it!

I think I got a decent deal, my brother tells me it's a hell of a lot of computer for the price. It even comes with an SLI video card setup, 2gig total video memory. And they were also running a 40% off all monitors sale, so I picked up a 24" inch flat panel for $200 bucks. Not too shabby.

I've already made list of 19 different games I want to purchase, only 3 of which are available now. The rest are all future releases. The sad part is, the total cost of all the games I want is almost equivalent to the entire PC purchase.

The only question now is, can I handle this new machine and keep a good balance between family, running, work, and gaming?

No comments: