Thursday, June 23, 2005

Birds, computers & AC, oh my

Birds in the grill update! Last sunday I checked on the birds to find that they had all climbed out of the nest and were hanging out inside the grill. I decided it was time to give them a little hint, and I proped the grill open, ironically enough, with a real birds nest. Then we had a huge storm on Monday, and the next day one of the birds was missing. Did the storm take him? Did he fly off on his own? Who knows, one bird down! Today, I checked the grill again and the remaining 3 birds were gone!! Woooohooo, I HAVE MY GRILL BACK! Now... the task of cleaning it. Sounds like a fun weekend project.... ya right.

So my overpriced Alienware system decided to lock up on me for the first time since I've owned it. (just about a year) After rebooting, I got nothing. No memory check, no boot up screen, NADA. Okay, hmmm pulled the RAM out and replaced it, and it booted back up. Faulty memory? Today it locked up again, only this time it didn't come back. My bro, who happens to be a computer hardware wiz, was nice enough to let me test every piece of hardware + memory chips on his (home built) machine. They all checked out, so it had to be a motherboard (or maybe CPU?) issue. Spent an hour and half on friggen tech support call convincing them I know when a motherboard is fried. Worst part of this whole thing is, even though they are sending me out a new motherboard, I CAN'T EVEN INSTALL THE DAMN THING MYSELF. I have to WAIT for some stupid ass tech support guy to come out to my house, so HE can install it, because of warranty issues. Sigh.

So if that wasn't enough, my AC has not been working for 2 days. The two HOTTEST days of the friggen year, and I have no AC. For someone that normally keeps thier house at a cool 67 degrees, it has been TORTURE. Finally, I decided to call someone. I picked the electric company. The guy I talked to has me go open some box in my back yard connected to my AC. Some toggle switch was hanging out, I yanked it out and jammed it back in. He said I had to wait 20 minutes before turning my AC back on. Finally turned it back on, and thank god - I have AC again! Now, if only it drops 10 degrees in my house in an hour so I can actually get some sleep tonight.

Did I mention I think my washing machine is leaking? Why did I buy a house again?

4 comments:

Steve Eck said...

There really isn't much to washing machines, they basically just have inlet vavles, a waste tube, a lid switch, the motor to spin the tube, and a mechanical-electric spin dial to control the cycles.

So, all you have to do is narrow down the leaking to the inlet or the exit tube. From there, in theory, it should be pretty easy to replace the tube/valve/whatever is leaking.

brent said...

perhaps your brother can help me fix my entertainment system. i f'ed it up somehow and now i only get sound out of the right speakers except when playing a DVD. hehe. screw owning a house, i'm renting forever; i can't fix jack.

Shawn said...

Fixing problems in a house for a person like me (non-fixer upper) is all about knowing who to call! I'm getting Home Service Plus in a few months, which covers pretty much everything.

As for your speaker problem, odds are its in the reciever. Check wiring, speaker settings (muted left side?), etc.

Shawn said...

Oh ya, and as for the washing machine thing... I've yet to decide if its worth more investigation or not yet. I had checked the inlet and exit tubes, couldn't find any leaking. Sometimes it seems like there is just a little water on the ground, other days it soaks up a whole towel.