Saturday, June 18, 2005

Graduation Party

Went to a high school graduation party for my cousin Lauren today over in Victoria, MN. As beautiful as that area is, I would NOT want to commute from that far out. Dang. Very nice neighborhood, you drive through golf courses as if they are a part of the homes. I wonder how many broken windows occur each year? Got some pics of the fam while I was there.

On the drive over, I listened to this free audio CD I ordered a few weeks back. It's called Being a Dad with author Armin Brott. It was a nice listen, but I started to fade out when he started talking about the teenage years. I figure I'll try to focus on one thing at a time, and worry about that stuff when it comes. :-)

He mentioned how a lot of men these days don't take time off work when a new baby arrives, and my first thought was "Not me!" One guy came on and said he took 6 weeks off when his first child was born, and that it was the most rewarding thing he had ever done. I'm glad I went all out and took 8 weeks off. I think it will be the best thing ever as well, for me, Andrea, and the new baby.

It also talked about the changing role of Dads. In the past, the fathers role was primarily as the provider and now focus is shifting towards a more caring/nurturer role, while still having the provider role. I think if there was one fear I have right now, it would be my desire to "have it all", be the super dad! Be the caring, always there father and still be the provider. Hopefully it won't be to hard for me, as work has never been something that I would let rule my life.

1 comment:

benilhalk said...

I too went to a graduation party at one of New York venues. It was my cousin’s party thrown by my aunt. She did a great job in making everything best and outstanding that day. I really loved her efforts. Will take some ideas from her to arrange a grand party.