Saturday, November 26, 2005

Where the beef!

WARNING: The following post is about video games. Don't like them? Stop reading now damnit!

Holy crap, I haven't posted anything in almost 2 weeks. In the words of Fat Bastard, "That's long enough to declare, LEGALLY DEEEAD!" I honestly don't have much of an excuse for not posting. Not that anyone actually READS my posts, being as they are so completely devoid of anything remotely interesting. The truth is, as the prospect of actually going back to work neared, I buried myself in a few video games.


Game: Ninja Gaiden: Black
Total Playtime: 80 hours
Finished? 3 times

I even got the sweet Ninja t-shirt! This game is hands down, the best X-box game ever. Ninjas are cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet. I finished the game 3 times, first on "Normal", then on "Hard" and then one last time on "Very Hard". The "Very Hard" difficulty on this game makes all other games look like child's play. Finishing this game on Very Hard was a culmination, nay... the pinnacle of my overall hand eye coordination skills.


Game: Quake 4
Total Playtime: 10-12 hours
Finished? Yes

What a let down this game was! Using the Doom 3 graphics engine, I had read some pretty bad reviews of this game, and they all turned out to be right. But seeing as how Quake was one of the founding games for me, I had to buy this one. The gameplay was crap, monster AI was non-existent. I basically just ran through the game as fast as possible to get it over with.


Game: Serious Sam 2
Total Playtime: 15 hours
Finished? Not yet

Great game for what it sets out to do. This is a different type of first person shooter, basically I call it "arcade style" first person shooter. It's a fun game and it even manages to make fun of itself during the game. (cracking jokes about video game budgets, etc) I just didn't have time to finish it, but I will.


Game: Matrix: Path of Neo
Total Playtime: 20 hours
Finished? Yes, but I regret it.

I had been looking forward to this game for some time... to be able to play as "Neo", aka "Mr. Anderson" (yes, people call me that at work a lot). To be able to do the massive agent smith battle, fighting Morpheus and all the other great battles from the movies. The game turned out to be a bunch of random levels with a few playable scenes from the movies thrown in here and there. Overall, I'd say only about 20% of the game was taken from the movies. I won't even get into the graphics and sound glitches. The kicker of all this? The ending of this stupid game. If you are a Matrix fan, watch this ending. Yes, this is directly from the game.


Game: Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King
Total Playtime: 74 hours
Finished? Yes, just tonight!

My experience with roleplaying games started in the early 90's with a game called "Dragon Warrior" on the original Nintendo. This was followed up with a few sequels, all of which I loved. Unfortunately, the series died off in the US but it continued on in Japan. Finally, after 15+ years, they decide to bring one of the "Dragon Warrior" games back over to the US. They are called "Dragon Quest" in Japan. Well, this game was awesome. Simple RPG with ALL sorts of throw backs to the classic days. I felt 14 all over again while playing this game. Good times!

In between all these video games I managed to attend 2 family Thanksgiving gatherings, see the new Harry Potter movie, work out a few times and even take care of Megan here and there. Right now, I feel like I just won the lottery - Megan has been sleeping since 5:30! (almost 3 hours!!) All I know is that Andrea definitely has the harder job when I go back to work.

2 comments:

Steve Eck said...

Wow, that's quite the hours of video game playing there.

I'm impressed with the Ninja Gaiden: Black completion. Although I've never played it, it is rumored to be insanely hard, even on 'normal', let alone 'hard'. Are you going to get the expansion pack with the extra-super-impossible difficulty level?

I was checking out Dragon Quest 8 in Best Buy the other day, it looked fun. Except that I have far too many unplayed RPGs sitting at home (including Dragon Quest 7).

Shawn said...

NG: Black is actually a re-release of the game containing all the expansion packs plus even more content. It contains the so called "Master Ninja" mode, which I have unlocked by finishing "Very Hard". It frightens me, I have yet to even start it. :-)