Tuesday, November 01, 2005

4th and Ounces

Damn, a whole week since my last post. I know I promised lots of posts and pictures of this time with Megan, but she just keeps us so busy! The initial excitement has definitely faded and we are getting worn out. It sucks how during this first phase Megan doesn't really interact much. Yes, she looks around. Yes, she cries and eats and sleeps. But that's really about it. She won't even actually react to us with a smile for another 2 months! It's one of those things, where deep down inside, you know that before you can blink she will be crawling, walking, talking and all those fun things. But it's just like Dark Helmet said in Spaceballs, "When will then, be now?"

Here are some pictures of Megan doing what she does best, sleeping. If I've learned anything in the last 3 weeks, it's that a half an ounce of food can make ALL the difference between a crying baby and a content happy baby.


Saturday night we went to a small Halloween party over at our friends who recently moved really close to us. (within 5 miles) This made for an easy Megan trip, and we stayed just long enough between feedings. The kids were very cute in their costumes, and we also made them bob for apples.


I've basically come to embrace my night owl self. I think about how my brother is constantly up until 2, 3, or even 4am every night and I realize we are probably more alike in that respect. When you have to get up at 6am every morning, you basically force yourself into a "normal" schedule. But the truth is, for some reason, my body likes to stay up late and sleep in all morning. The benefit of this, is that I can take care of Megan from 11pm-3am every night, and Andrea can get a good solid 4 hours of sleep. Then I can goto bed and we can trade off. It works out okay, but obviously it's going to be very hard to get back on a normal schedule once I start work again.

I'll probably post again later this week with an update on my health goals. I've been struggling for the last 3 weeks, although I have made it to the gym 8 times. I plan on keeping that going with at least 4 visits a week. It's just a matter of figuring out what to do while I'm there to be most effective.

4 comments:

Adam said...

That's funny: "and we also made them bob for apples." It sounds like you were holding their heads under the water or something :-)

Also, if she sleeps so much, how does she wear you out so bad?? Yes, I do not have kids :-) Good to hear everything is going well anyway.

Lastly, you no longer have to worry about who you're going to start at QB each week. Is that a good or bad thing??

Steve Eck said...

I like the pictures of Megan sleeping, very cute.

Shawn said...

Although Megan sleeps a lot, for much of that, she won't sleep unless one of us are holding her. Combine that with her fussy times and she just wears us out!

And yes, I dropped Culpepper like a bad habit. Somehow I've managed to get 3rd place.

Anonymous said...

Hey Shawn - you will want to break that "sleeping only when being held" habit as quick as you can. This is something that can definitely cause major sleeping problems down the line. Babies need to learn to go to sleep on their own and the sooner you do it the better. Trust me, I learned that the hard way and I'm hoping I do better the second time around. Cute pictures! And I don't think you'll have to wait as long as you think for those first smiles. Melanie started smiling at about 5 or 6 weeks. :)