Monday, September 24, 2007

Up Note

Ended the weekend with some fun stuff. As I had mentioned previously, there was a good chance I would make it to the Renaissance Festival this weekend. I went with my brother, sister in law, and one other friend on Sunday morning. It was a great time due to a couple of new experiences this year.

I started the day out with a bike ride over to my brothers apartment. The idea was so that I could actually enjoy a few beers at the Ren fest this year. (little did I know how hot the day was going to get). After arriving to the fair, when I went to snap my first picture of the day, I was greeted with a "Replace Batteries" message. No photographic evidence of my fair visit this year. After that we headed straight to food, as my brother was coming of a 10 hour work shift and really needed to eat. We all had bread soup bowl to start the morning.

Then we did some shop browsing, making me wish I just had money to blow on fancy artistic items. We also hit up a weapon shop, where I lifted up a huge 2-handed sword (or "Claymore"). This thing was huge, I estimated it at around 15-20 lbs worth of steel. Turns out I was really close, as it was 14 pounds.

Caught a show after that, that my brother ended up being part of. He got pulled up to the stage and had to act out various funny acts as directed by the puppeteer, Ded Bob. He did a great job, and gave it his all. At one point the puppeteer guy just started laughing at him and said "You're awesome". I wish I had got pictures! I then enjoyed my first beer, since you know, they can't start selling it before 10am.

We then played a little King of the Log competition, which my brother just smoked everyone. You stand on a log and smack each other with heavy burlap sacks filled with hay. He was a brick house! No one could even knock him off the log once, although I came close one time... maybe. Then more food (potato skins and cheese curds), more beer, more shows (Puke and Snot). More beer, more food (chicken croissant sandwich), and finally JOUSTING!

The last "new" thing that happened this year, was when the King actually talked to us! As we were walking around, the King & Queen and their procession came by. I was standing next to Scott and said we should bow to the King. As he walked by we were bowing to him, and he said something along the lines of "Very good my loyal subjects." Things like that always make me want to go all out some year and be all involved with what makes the Ren Fest fun.

In other news... I was caught for my cheating I posted about earlier. My account was suspended for 3 hours. Granted it wasn't much of a punishment, considering it was suspended from 4am to 7am, and I didn't even notice. But on the flip side, I'm glad I was caught. And the best part is, they are fixing some of these issues this this week. Hopefully it will make every ones gaming experience (my own included) more fun.

2 comments:

brent said...

you are so funny with the cheating. i don't know what to make of it, i guess its like running in a race without a number? something like that.

Anonymous said...

Ren Fest is awesome to be a part of!!! I worked there 3 or 4 years and loved it!! We went when we were back in MN in Aug and took Melanie dressed up and everyone bowed to her and called her princess - it was a blast!! PS. They can't start selling alcohol till noon on Sundays.