Sunday, September 09, 2007

Useless emotion

This mornings run was COLD, but a great solid 9 miles. I wasn't really warmed up until after mile 5, but after that I was running with the wind and the sun was barely showing through the clouds. I definitely needed it, although I'm sad that the outdoor running is clearly coming to an end soon. Maybe this year, I'll actually try my hand at some seriously cold running. We shall see!

I've always considered anger to be the most useless of all human emotions. In no personal experience, have I ever felt like anger lead to any form of positive outcome. It seems like every other emotion can be clearly mapped to some biological or instinctual concept of human survival. So where does anger fall?

I don't deny that I'm an anger bottler. In fact, I could probably sell it in 6 packs at the grocery store. Andrea often laments at why I never seem to get mad at her. At work, it's important to me to try and keep an even keel in the face of horrible mismanagement. I just see nothing positive about expressing anger, when whatever it is you might be angry about, would be much better dealt with logically and constructively.

The only difference now, is that I have ONE outlet for anger: Running. A lot of my runs are spent deep in thought about all the things I might be pissed off about. Those thoughts are great fuel when you want to run harder, faster, longer. And by the time your run is over, you've used up all that fuel and it's like a big cloud gets pushed aside.

Anyway, yesterday Andrea, Megan and I attended the Target Children's Book Festival at the Hyland Lake Park reserve in Bloomington. A free event with all sorts of fun things for kids. In theory, it was a great time. And in fact, Megan did have a great time. It was however, a tad crowded. I guess free implies tons of people. But Megan didn't mind, and honestly didn't really care that we couldn't wait in line for stuff. She just ran around, saw a few things, and got to play in a large slide park. She was worn out by the time we came home and enjoyed a nice long nap.

Since I haven't posted any in a while, here are some recent cute pictures of Megan. The first is her obviously getting into trouble attempting to climb over the couch. She is constantly testing us, trying to get to places she knows she's not supposed to. The second one was just the cutest thing ever last night, we came down stairs and she wanted to bundle up with her blanket. Enjoy!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute pics!
That testing never ends, it just gets more sophisticated!!!

Anonymous said...

You know Sarah, the other day I was thinking about what you said about not wanting to stand on the chair so as not to give your kids any ideas. Megan stands on chairs but luckily she doesn't understand she can move the chairs yet.