Tuesday, February 12, 2008

4pm on some idle Tuesday

What's in the works you ask? Well, Andrea and I got on the same page regarding the TV. It's as good as gone, it's just a matter of how soon. Basically it comes down to how soon I think I can get it out the back of my house through the snow. Once the TV is out, I'm replacing it with an indoor jungle gym for Megan to play on.

Is getting rid of the TV going to cure our problems? No, of course not. In fact, it probably won't have any positive effect what so ever. What it WILL do is stop making every night a battle over the fact that we don't watch movies anymore. And the replacement will be something fun and interactive we can do together.

Call it extreme. Call it removing a problem instead of dealing with a problem. I honestly don't care how other people judge me at this point. I'm good enough at doing that on my own.

Aside from that, Andrea and I are both pulling in on our extraneous activities. We are going to focus all our free time and efforts on getting Megan caught up to where we think she can be. We can tell she wants to interact and wants to learn, we just have to figure out what that spark will be to get through to her. A friend tonight told me that someone he knew had a 4 year old who still wasn't talking. The spark? The boy band, In-Sync. Apparently he liked the music so much he sang along, and those were his first words.

I'd like to think we can help Megan before she turns 4. Tonight, we worked really hard on "ball" and she repeated it twice. Overall, we think she tried 4 words tonight, and she picked up on the use of "Pop", in response to "Megan, where is your pop?". All positive signs.

This past weekend, we got out to the Apple Valley Winter Festival. It's our second year, and once again it was fun even if a bit cold. We went early Saturday before it got too cold, so that helped a lot. Megan had fun on the inflatable slides, but got stuck at one point when she went up with lots of big kids going. Thankfully, a young girl, maybe 10 or 11, offered to go up and help Megan slide down so we didn't have to squeeze up there and rescue her.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you had Megan's hearing checked? I've heard sometimes that can be the problem with speech delays. Also a girlfriend of mine had a child who got frequent ear infections - they had tubes put in and she said the first thing she noticed after was how quickly her speech and vocabulary improved. Just a thought/suggestion. I know Megan can say ball because you have a video clip of her saying it on one of your posts! Another suggestion - work on animal sounds. That's a good start to speech development! I wish you all well!!!

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear it! :)