Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ah well, screw it

I got my World of Warcraft account back, although it wasn't without a price. They stripped one of my characters of everything I had "earned". Did I cheat to earn what they took away? You bet. Do I feel guilty about it? Of course not. It's a form of entertainment, a way to kill time, and nothing else.

The problem is, the game isn't actually that fun. If it was, I wouldn't want to cheat to bypass the lame parts and time that has to be invested. On top of that, even the parts I was enjoying for a while have started to become stale. The people I play with have schedules that don't jive, the competitive parts of the game I was enjoying are saturated with people way better and with way more time.

So screw it, I don't need to waste money on something I don't enjoy. I cancelled my account, time to find a new night time hobby. On the plus side, until something comes along my new default night time hobby is sleeping. Quite a strange hobby, but damn, went to bed at 9:30pm last night. 10 hours of sleep!! Don't know when the last time was that I got that much sleep...

In other news, the Get in Gear 10k run is just around the corner. Have I trained for it properly? Not really... am I going to hit my goals? Maybe... As long as the weather behaves and nothing crazy happens between now and then. I did a practice run and hit my goal with room to spare, so I know it can be done.

Megan update: Hand is healing well according to the doctors. It's way past the point of any infection concerns and the skin is growing back nice and fast. She might be able to go without bandages as early as next week. Only things we have to worry about now are keeping the bandages on and keeping any exposed skin out of the sun. Not to hard with this weather...

As far as the other things are going, Megan is amazing us every day with what she is learning. Her lack of language seems to not be preventing her from learning a lot of things. For example, she can identify a large number of letters now. Not just pictures, animals and words, but individual letters! That's huge. From a verbal perspective, she can make animal sounds "Moo" and "Baa" and roars for Tigers and Lions. She also says "Boo" when playing the peek-a-boo game. In general, she is vocalizing strings of sounds together, so you can tell she is trying to communicate.

My prediction is still a late summer time, early fall when that explosion occurs and the words start coming. All the time between now and then will be just building up the individual words and then working on putting words together.

Last night Megan and I went to the grocery store. As we were going down the aisle, all of a sudden Megan started doing the sign for "Dog". I asked her where she saw the dog? She pointed and I was still confused, so I slowly backed up the cart until I could see what she was point at. Sure enough, right there on the cereal box was Clifford the Big Red Dog. Way to go Megs!

No comments: