Saturday, May 13, 2006

Deep & Meaningless

Existence must be asserted in the present
if one does not want all life to be
defined as an escape towards nothingness.

- Simone De Beauvoir
Anyone who thinks they're important is
usually just a pompous moron who can't
deal with his or her own pathetic
insignificance and the fact that what
they do is meaningless and inconsequential..."

- William Thomas

A whirlwind of change is coming into my life shortly. I'm excited and happy for it, but at the same time I have to stop and ask, "Why? What's the point?" This is the day to day struggle of someone without a clearly defined sense of purpose. I'd like to think that most people struggle with it, but I honestly don't know. No one ever really talks about it.

I think about my life and how narrow in scope it really is. I'm a simple minded individual with simple goals. I have no delusions of grandeur, no sense that what I do in life needs to be big or important. I just want to be able to provide for my family, enjoy the time that I have, be healthy and have fun. Is that my purpose then?

I have to assume that the search for meaning or purpose is something that continues until the day you die. At least, that's what I've always assumed. Which is why I continue to go by the belief that there is no meaning. Somehow it's easier for me to accept that, and go from there. Because the only meaning there is in life, is the meaning I put into it.

4 comments:

brent said...

do you ever wonder if there is some higher power? and why was this all created? i have no agenda with those questions, i just wonder if you think about that kind of thing. i guess this post alludes to a yes answer though.

and please go to your blog template options and turn on the syndicate option so i can subscribe to your blog via bloglines, thanks!!!!!!

Shawn said...

I'll never shut out any possibility in life, but it isn't one that I contemplate too often.

Also, make sure you are linked to the correct blog feed. My feed location has changed:

http://grimdar.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Shawn said...

Scott,

You are correct in what you say about my agnostic vs atheist thoughts. It really is more of a "I wish I could be agnostic" but deep down I really don't believe that. Unless some external event or experience completely changes my view point, I will continue to be firm in my atheist beliefs. The best part about that, is my "beliefs" are just that - beliefs. They have no more merit or proof then any religious belief out there. In that way, atheism is just as egocentric as any die hard religious fanatic.

You are also correct that if I ever were to believe in anything outside of the realm of human experience (i.e. something after death, souls, other planes of existence, etc) it would be the same experience for all humans. That is, if there is something that happens to you after you die, it's the same thing that happens to every living thing on the planet.

As as for meaning, well I never said that life has no meaning. I more or less am trying to say that life has no meaning external to the realm of human experience. (google "existentialism" for more infos) My life has no meaning other then what I put into it - be it nothing or everything.

david g said...

Hey Shawn. I have to "argue" a little with William Thomas and the quote. Sure we are pathetic and insignificant, but not really. It all depends on your point of view. Take for instance your daughters. Probably every choice you make and everything you do has a huge impact on them. We have huge impact...even on the "un-seen". Megan or Casey would not even have been born had you not decided to get married and have kids. Or how about people that take that to the extreme and think nothing they do affects anybody else (Like Minnesota drivers!) Anyway, I just wanted to argue that. It's obvious anything can be argued one way or another and both sides can often be very compelling in their own sphere, or context.

So, your purpose is to be happy. (It sounds like it) "Men are, that they might have joy" I also think it's good that you have an open mind. When ever we shut off more questions, and searching that is when we get stagnant, and frankly, dull. (I guess that's why .net and java are constantly evolving and changing...hard to keep up sometimes. Sheesh!)

I also agree with Scott about man-made religions. They are just that. Man made. I don't put my trust in another persons believe particularly. If I want to find out what Shawn is like, and I can talk to people who may or may not know him etc... It is, however, going to be much more effective to talk to Shawn my self. But then that may not always be enough. I'd probably have to see how he acts. After spending some time with him, I might be a good judge of him. Religion, I think is similar. People speculate about what is out there, and who made the earth, and all these questions "with out answers" (do those even exist?). But they come up with some answers on their own. Now, if we had some way to actually get some answers from the source then I'd trust those answers. I'm talking about a higher power which I believe is God, and our heavenly father. Just like our own earthly parents, He love us and wants us to be happy. Isn't that what we want for our own kids. And when they are happy, and nice to other kids, and us it makes us happier. As we see our kids "progress" we have more joy I think.

Anyway, I hope I didn't get too far off topic, I tend to ramble (more evidence of my own insignificance) keep the interesting stuff coming... I'm off to read a bit about existentialism. I'm sure I'll have more to say... :)