Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Sunday Sunday!

You pay for the whole seat, but you only need the EDGE! Of course by the time Sunday rolls around, the weekend effect has kicked in. The nice weather of course is helping, but damnit why does it have to be Monday tomorrow?

Did a long run on Saturday, 16 miles. Second time ever that I've run that distance. The cool thing was that I did it with my new heart rate monitor. I haven't actually had a working heart rate monitor since... I don't even remember. At least a year. It's pretty amazing how things have changed, check it out:



The red line is my average heart rate. I couldn't quite believe the results, but basically I did the entire run in the 140-150 range. That's much improved over the last time I was keeping an eye on my heart rate, when I was running in the 165+ range consistently. Basically, my heart is healthier then ever before, so that's some good news.

Anyway, I specifically wanted to answer Keara's question/comment on my previous post. She's always been a loyal reader so it's the least I could do. What is preventing me from changing jobs? The fact that I like what I do and that I'm good at it. There is no point to changing jobs... The grass is not greener somewhere else and there is no other job that would allow me to support and provide for my family in the way I do now. I don't want less (or the same!) hours for less money, and I don't want more hours for more money.

Basically, I'm not conveying the true source of my angst good enough. It's not my job that pisses me off, it's the fact that there is a system we all have to exist in which forces us to do things we might not otherwise enjoy in order to live/survive/get by. And that for most of us normal folk, that means "working" until we are able to retire.

There is no job I could get, no amount of pay I could receive, that would be more rewarding to me than spending more time with my family. I don't want a different job, I don't want more pay. I want more time. I want enough time to be able to spend lots of time with my daughter, and maybe even have a little left over for myself. Basically I want it all. I want to be able to be a great Dad but also enjoy the things I like.

What pisses me off, is knowing that 40-50 hours a week of my life until I retire, will be spent AWAY from my family, AWAY from the things I enjoy, because I'm not smart enough, creative enough, or lucky enough to be able to provide the basic needs of life (food, shelter, clothing, education) for my family in any way that would take less time per week.

I don't want to be happier at my job. I want to be happier at home, which implies actually being at home. You're not sounding naive at all. I'm just not explaining how much it bothers me that I only get to see Megan 3 hours a day. THAT is what pisses me off.

2 comments:

Steve Eck said...

So, I'm confused. The gist as I interpret this post is "I am powerless to get more time".

It seems like less pay for less hours would give you precisely what you say you are looking for, more time with the family. Reducing your hours at work by say 10 a week gives you that much more time at home. You are effectively buying that time through a reduced salary.

In the same vein, couldn't you move closer to your job thus reducing your commute? Or find a new job that is closer to home? That could also save you several hours a week.

How about buying services? Reducing the time you spend doing things other then hanging out with Andi and Megan when you are home.

It is certainly possible to 'buy' time, not cheap, but possible. And that, it seems to me, is the real issue: not wanting to compromise your standard of living to gain that time.

Which is fine, of course, but a little different then what you are saying on the surface.

Anonymous said...

Be grateful you don't have to travel for work - you'd see your family even less.