Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Running Year In Review

Been awhile since I talked about my running, so I figured why not review the last year and do some standard bragging. My goal for 2009 was 1,500 miles. I sorta blew right by that, along with some crazy personal speed records. Let's take look at the last year by the numbers:

Total mileage: 1,858.77
Highest weekly mileage: 54.66 (7/8/2009)
Lowest weekly mileage: 25 (2/11/2009)
Average weekly mileage: 35.6
Average miles per run: 8.6
Longest single distance: 20.43
Longest time between runs: 3 days

Week by week mileage graph:

The 3 days between runs only happened once all year. Reason? Casey was born. There was nothing particularly special about my peak week, just a couple of 9 milers and a 16/12. My lowest week was due to something specific - that was the week I suffered a nasty glut injury from lifting. The funny thing is my good friend suffered the same injury later in the year just from pure running.

I didn't do as many races this year, partly because my company stopped paying for them. I did a total of 5 races this year (I think). All of them were personal records, but only one that I was truely proud of. It was my 10k in late July where I ran an average pace of under 6:50 minute miles. That was probably the hardest run I had ever done. I'm not quite sure I want to try and beat that this year.

So what did all this running get me? A minor Plantar Fasciitis injury, that I think I suffered the last few months due to running hills on the treadmill. It's not causing me serious pain or anything, but I've decide to take a solid week of running, and evaluate again. If the pain is still there, I might go another week after that. Might not seem like a big deal, but when my longest time between runs over the last year was 3 days, it's actually a very huge deal.

Maybe I'll use this as my excuse to finally take up some other forms of exersize, including lifting.

2 comments:

brent said...

Good year of running shawn! You beat me, I looked and I had around 1,600 miles. Dang! Looks like I ran about 16 months for the month of December so that was a killer there. Great job, it was a break through year for you; great base building and a great racing season. Hopefully 2010 will bring more record-breaking performances.

brent said...

(16 MILES in december not months obviously)