Saturday, February 27, 2010

Interesting Turn

Fun to have people reading and my blog being motivated to share opinions. Almost motivates me to just post non stop about hot button topics like religion all the time. Almost.

I do want to expose my kids to as many different opinions and world views as I possibly can, so they can figure out for themselves (in the long run) what works for them. And the reason I want to do that is because, I don't think any particular world view is any more correct then the next. My choice to be atheist is just as valid as my friends choices for religion. Neither is the right choice or the wrong choice, they are just personal preferences. The important thing is to figure out for yourself what "fits" for you.

And that's the main reason I find it SO utterly difficult to participate in any formal organized gathering of any religious type. Because usually (not always), that group of people want you to think just like them. And if you don't, you're labelled as "wrong". Whether it's a Christian church wanting to convert you to a belief in god, or a liberal Unitarian church where everyone bashes conservatives and republicans. Either group comes with preconceived notions of who is right and wrong and what beliefs are right and wrong.

Which brings us right back to my subjective view of life and truth. Something that is hard to describe, but it is central to almost all my beliefs. I profess my love of the classic existential philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, and how reading his essays was the first time in my life, I ever read something about a world view that "fit" for me. Where for the first time in my life, I said "Wow, this is exactly how I've come to view the world.".

Yet still, despite that, there is a small part of me that wonders. Is subjective truth just a way to live your entire life without taking a particular stand on a subject?

3 comments:

Ordinary Reader said...

You might be right in that it's easier to live that way. I can't make it work for me though. I can't believe that there isn't some greater power than us because we all seem to know certain things, like what right is and what wrong is. That knowledge must have been planted in us by someone. And if there is a God, then ignoring him would surely be the most dangerous way to live life. It would seem a lot more logical to find out about him and what he expects from me. Just my thoughts.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Hi;
I used to work in the computer field but moved to the country and trying to be self sustaining on a farm. I don't think I had a mid-life crisis but just kind of woke up and now live as humans were meant to live. I am surrounded by religious people but see no evidence of a god. It seems to be a human need to have one though. Every culture has a god and then the culture and god disappear.

wife mother employee friend human said...

I'm a beginner at this blogging and am not sure if i am supposed to post my own views on my blog or add to others blogs, or both?

I found your blog interesting and wanted to add my ten cents worth.

Throughout my life (43 years) from those early youthful days to the present, I have seen actions and have experienced coomments (personal and about others) by those who claim to follow the ways written by God / Allah/ Buddah etc. What is lacking to my mind is the "practice what one preaches".
It seems many claim to live the christian life or follow the muslim faith etc etc so why is it we have such hatred, greed, wars in this world of ours?


A little retrospection and self analysis would be a good thing.

The way I see it all religions fundamentally are the same, although many in various sectors would argue, sometimes to the death, that they are "right" or theirs is "the only way".

Ponder for a moment if you will, if the fundamentals of each of these faiths were adhered to what a blissful world we'd all live in.

Live and let live,
Tolerance,
Care for your fellow human being,
Forgiveness,
Turning the other cheek,
Consequenses for one's actions,
Personal responibility........... Utopia really !

We have the power within ourselves to acheive this. Each human can make a change in every day they live on this earth.

Make a difference in anothers life today and try to do this each and every day.

A kind word, a thoughful gesture, a helping hand or meal or encouraging comment.........simple hello how are you or can I assist..........what will we do today to make a difference?

I took a neighbour out to lunch to treat her.
I wanted to spoil her with a lovely lunch in a relaxing garden setting, but mainly to have her some "time out" away from the constant committment she provides daily to her autistic son.
A few kind words and laughter,but mostly to listen to her voice and hear her conversation.

She went home a refreshed lady.

It feels fantastic to help another person without any strings attached.............go head make someones day today!