Saturday, April 17, 2010

Separation Anxiety

As Casey nears the 11 month mark, we are struggling with some serious separation anxiety. I can't remember when it started, but it must have been almost 2 months ago now. I saw it develop on our Monday night date nights. For the last 2 months, every Monday night Andrea and I were going to a marriage course, "Date Night with a Purpose" it was called. It included private candle lit dinners for two (catered by Roasted Pear!) each night followed by a short informative talk. There was also babysitting provided.

Each night was very hard on Casey, and she would instantly start crying as soon as we dropped her off. It would last for a good 20-30 minutes. A few nights we ended up leaving early to just go comfort her. It's also putting a damper on Andrea's opportunities to go to the YMCA. She can hardly drop Casey off before they are calling her back down because the YMCA staff can't comfort her.

And if that wasn't bad enough, we can't even leave her with Grandma either! This all adds up to some rough times ahead. Mostly it's going to get old fast if Andrea and I can't find time to spend together, do a date night, or even go to a movie together. This weekend I want to see Kick-Ass so badly, but I'll have to go see a 10:30pm showing just so I can see it by myself.

With Megan, it was never this bad at all. Maybe she might whine a little bit, but she could quickly get engaged with something, anything, by whoever it was that was watching her. With Casey it is much worse, we can hardly leave the room. At night when I get home from work, she just clings and clings to me all night until bed time.

I know it should pass, but man I hope it doesn't last much more than another month or two. If it does, I might have to take drastic measures and do things to help get her over it, such as leaving Casey with Grandma for 15 minute periods, working up to an hour, to basically teach her it's going to be okay.

Anyway, here is a very cute video update from a few weeks ago. Show casing the great singing voice on Andrea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My children did the same thing. It would break my heart, but I would leave them in good hands. God Bless!

Jenny McGovern said...

Jim and I are having some serious problems with the separation anxiety with Fiona as well. She's 6 months now, so I'm really hoping that once she's mobile she grows out of it. It gets very frustrating to never have time alone. If you guys find out something that works, please share. We never had this problem with either of the other two, so this is new for us. Hope it gets better soon! :)