Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend of Free Stuff

At first I planned on blogging about the horrible weather conditions on Saturday morning, how cold and miserable I was during my race, or how the rain put a dent in my otherwise decent DVD selling later in the day. Instead, I'm going to shift gears and actually talk about something positive! Me? Positive? No way!

First off is my camera problem. About 3 weeks ago my brand new camera went kaput. I had just bought it at the beginning of October! I blamed Megan because it stopped working one evening after she brought it up to me from downstairs. Added to that was the fact that the last thing the camera recorded was a series of 16 very suspicious movie clips recorded by Megan (when no one else was around).

Andrea brought the camera into Best Buy, and the Geek Squad sent it off to Cannon since it was still under the 1 year manufacture warranty. I get an email from the Geek Squad after a few weeks, and long story short, they give me a brand new camera. But here's the best part. The model I bought (A1100 IS) is no longer available. So instead, I get a free upgrade to the next model in the PowerShot line, the A3100 IS! It's an even better camera then I had, and it's brand new!

Well, that got my day off to an awesome start. But then, later that afternoon, Andrea calls me downstairs because the washing machine is going nuts. My limited handy man skills tell me it's pretty messed up (the inner portion is just sitting completely off center). This washer is ALSO almost brand new, replaced just last April! However, we were a few weeks past the 1 year warranty so I was worried this time. I decided my best shot was to go to Home Depot (where we bought it) in person and see if I could work some magic. I always seem to have better luck showing up in person.

So what happens? After walking around the store for awhile without finding any good assistance, I decide to swing by Appliances one more time. By pure blind luck I just so happen to run into the very same salesperson that originally sold me the washer. (only now he is working in Flooring). I stopped, we chatted, and another long story short - he got on the phone with GE today and informed me that they are going to be able to help us out, despite being past the official year warranty. Granted the washer isn't fixed yet, but I have faith it will be by the end of the week, again, for free!

Sadly, as the karmic laws of the universe must always prevail, once again when good things happen to me, it means my brother is getting shit on. You see, it's been clear to me for a long time that my brother and I are on opposite sides of some cosmic scale that has to remain in balance at all times. When good things happen to me, bad things happen to him (trust me, this is no joke). So while I was enjoying all this free stuff, my brothers wife was in the emergency room, with a follow up emergency surgery. She is okay now and back home, but I'm sure they will be looking at a few thousand dollars in medical expenses. Why is life so unfair like that?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I think it'll all even out in the end with our daughters getting shit on, and Lizzie having an awesome life, don't you think?