Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Facebook Final Decision

Final is such a strong word. Who knows what the future might bring. Maybe in 10 years the only way to get a job is to be on Facebook. And cars might fly. So one of the last few people I knew that wasn't on Facebook finally joined, giving me pause to actually consider it again. I thought, hey, I'll join Facebook, and just post links to my blog and people can come here.

Then I read an article in Time magazine about Facebook and that helped me solidify my decision to stay away from it. I could say a bunch about privacy and the way Facebook makes it convoluted for average people to keep their information hidden, and all the other shady things that they do, but I don't have much to stand on in the privacy argument. I have a public blog where I do basically the same information sharing with the world.

Naw, for me, it's about the money. You'd have to be sorta clueless not to realize that Facebook generates millions of dollars in revenue. Sure, the CEO spouts off about information sharing making the world a better place, and all this peace and love type crap, but really it's just all about the Benjamin's. I spend all day at work putting more money in someone elses pocket then my own, why would I want to spend my free time doing the same damn thing?

The funny part is that even I made money off internet advertising. The year was 1994 and I was a freshmen at college. I had a college website up with questionable content, and was approached by someone to put adds on my page with click-through revenue. I made $400 bucks in a single month at the peak. You'd have thought I would have turned that into my own empire. Instead, I was contacted by the college Chancellor and told to take my web site down or face legal action.

So no, I'm not going to contribute to some stupid advertising revenue generating crazy machine, no matter how many other people join. If I want to keep in touch with someone, I'll email them. I'll call them. I'll invite them over for dinner. Now I just have to hope that by the time my girls grow up, Facebook has lost it's uber importance with the teenage crowd.

5 comments:

The Rain Crab said...

Facebook sure is an addiction! And the point we making money for others in our free time is noticeable!
Thanks! Nice post!

GODSPEED said...

The only thing i like about FB is the fact i can conact anyone i know from 1 spot. Im Australian but live in Canada, it would be hard to keep in contact with people i know without having FB. I think of it as 'Conveniently lazy'.

brent said...

so you're not going to join facebook because its a crazy capitalist website where the real drive is to generate revenue? if you followed that rule you'd have to live on a mountain, grow all your own food, make your clothes, and generate your own electricity. for example guess who owns blogspot? google.

Shawn said...

I know - and yes, people at work joke about how one day I will end up on a mountain. It's not that bad of an idea really.

brent said...

i hear ya. i say embrace it! i do enjoy reading posts from cousins that have kids (about their daily trials), otherwise i'd only see/hear them a few times a year. nice to check in w/them on fb as dumb as that sounds.