Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bring It

Scorcher this morning. I didn't start my run until 8am and it was already muggy as heck. I pushed out a solid 13.5 miles, focusing on keeping my heart rate at a specific level despite the humidity. Recently, I actually paid good hard cash to get my VO2 max and Anaerobic Threshold numbers measured in a laboratory. Maybe it's a little obsessive, but I've only got so many hobbies. Might as well spend money on the things I enjoy.

With Casey turning one in just a few days, I find myself once again thinking about the way I perceive the passage of time as I get older. (and for the record, it speeds up - a lot). Even last night we had some friends over for dinner and Andrea was commenting how everything speeds up once you become parents. It's so weird, and so true.

I think it has to do with the "new factor". It's like when you go on vacation to a new place. The vacation seems to fly by because every day you get to experience something new. Parenting is the same way. Virtually every day is a new experience, or... more often a new challenge. There might be short periods of "sameness" but they are rare. The sum of all this hard work is that time seems to fly by, and I sometimes have to look around and remind myself how I got here.

Today I was looking through pictures of Megan from year 1 to 2, and I forgot how much more change is coming. I'm looking forward to two kids that can play together instead of having to protect Casey non stop. Hopefully Megan will get past that phase soon too. And of course, having two kids that sleep through the night in the same room will be a huge bonus for everyone in the house once that happens.

I posted once before about how my life recently felt like a roller coaster. I think if I had to adjust that now, I'd say that I've survived the first big down hill. It was scarier and harder then I would have liked, but here we go. Bring on the next crest and some more crazy ups and downs. I'm ready for it.

No comments: