Saturday, June 05, 2010

Rainy Day Fun

We did our best to make lemonade out lemons today, as we had all these out door activities planned and it was raining on and off all day. Started the morning out with a visit to the YMCA Day Camp Streefland. Megan is going there in two weeks for a week long day camp, and they were having an open house so I thought it would be a good time to just visit and get her excited about going. It worked out well and we had a great time and a free lunch of hot dogs.

After that, we headed over to Primrose, where Megan attended for a month last year. I never talked about it much at the time, but basically we needed some extra help that month and daycare provided us with that. Primrose was also having an open house, and they have the BEST open houses. Once again, they didn't disappoint. Bouncers, petting zoo, pony rides, kids ferris wheel, face painting, and more food. They did take money for "tickets" but it was super cheap, and I had no problem doing that.

In other news, something cool that occurred recently that I didn't even mention. Megan has officially graduated from ECFE speech class! Not that I didn't think she wouldn't, but it was great to get that stamp of approval from the professionals. They put her through all sorts of tests, not just language and speech related, and she did fine on everything. I have absolutely no regrets of removing TV from my house, even if it wasn't a factor in her improvements, I'm sure it didn't hurt.

At 2 and 1/2, we were just getting Megan to say a few words and had started in on sign language. At 1 year, Casey knows well over 10-12 signs, and can already ask for the things she wants (through non-verbal communication). I've learned the hard way how much of an impact parents have on their kids in the early years. I can freely admit that I failed Megan in the early years of her development, and I have no problems owning up to that. And to anyone that might try to sugar coat it, or try and tell me kids can develop at different rates, I will gladly call bullshit, because I've experienced first hand what a difference we as parents can make for our kids.

If there is one thing I have learned, is that making mistakes is always the best way to improve yourself. How come I can never seem to just skip the first part, and not make the mistakes in the first place?

No comments: