Wednesday, January 03, 2007

First Hump Day

Nothing much of consequence to share since New Years, so tonights post will be mostly random babble along with some bitching. Next week is going to be a shock to my system, as it will be my first 5 day work week in 5 weeks. I'll survive, but all the time off has been really nice lately. Now begins the long haul of no time off until May... ugh!

Once again I find myself being pissed off at all those stupid New Years Resolution people filling up my gym time. I had to wait 10 full minutes for an open treadmill! Guess you get what you pay for... I just have this feeling that a gym like this sells as many memberships as it can without any regard to the total numbers or how busy peak times will get.

Why do we call them resolutions anyway? By one definition, a resolution means to find a solution to a problem. So how does "resolving to lose weight" help solve the problem? It doesn't... The only way to solve the problem is figure out why it exists in the first place, and determine what changes you need to make in your life to fix it.

I need to stay off my soap box and focus on my goals for the year. I don't even want to call them resolutions, because a resolution isn't S.M.A.R.T. Damn right, I'm talking about:

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Tangible

Hahaha, how cheesy is that? I remember hearing about SMART goals at my first job. We all had to come up with SMART goals to present to management as part of our review process. Strangely enough, I've actually come to believe that is how you should make goals.

So what are my goals for 07? Not sure yet... and I feel good about that. Because goals shouldn't be something you can just come up with in a day or two. They need to develop over time and form into an idea of not just what you want to achieve but how you will do it. Okay I need to stop this post before I dig myself any deeper into cheeseball land. I think the last week having so many people tell me over and over that what I did was "amazing" started to get to my head. Because what I "did", and what I will continue to do isn't amazing. It's just what I had to do to get my life back on track and heading in a direction that will lead to more good things.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in making resolutions, I believe in making goals, as you stated. Nice post.

brent said...

hey shawn...the standard consensus is 2-3 seconds faster per mile, per pound lost. for example 10 pounds = 20 to 30 seconds faster per mile.

spock74 said...

Actually, the problem solving definition is way down the list. Is there room in your notresolutions for reducing the amount of over-analyzing involved in thinking about making said notresolutions?