Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Record Month

I'm starting this year out with a big bang. Last month I ran a total of 118 miles. This includes distance traveled on the elliptical, which I usually do about once a week. So maybe it's not 100% pure running miles, but it's still distance. This month is shaping up to be a crazy new record amount, as much as 130 miles.

I'm gearing up for my first 10k of the season, the Get in Gear 10k. Get it? I'm so punny! Anyway, I've set some pretty aggressive goals for this first race of the year. I think for the first time, I actually think of it as a race. Because it is, it's a race against myself. Last year when I did it, I had nothing to measure against. Now I do, and it's very motivating.

According to my weight log, I'm a little more then 15 pounds less then last year when I ran the 10k. From what I've heard, one pound = 2-3 seconds faster per mile. Going with the conservative estimate of 2 seconds per pound per mile faster, we get 2 * 15 * 6.2 miles = 186 seconds faster. In other words, I'm going to try and run the 10k approximately 3 minutes faster.

Whewww... long winded description of how I came to my goal decision. Needless to say, I still don't know if I'll be able to pull it off. But I think its possible, I just have to start doing some speed training, which I plan on getting more into starting late Feb / early March. Should be interesting!

No comments: