Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Stupid Resolutioners

I hate to start out with a rant, but what the hell. Once again, the people are flocking to (and filling up) the gym so that a) parking is damn near impossible and b) there are wait lines for treadmills. I didn't even feel like dealing with it tonight, and completely skipped my work out. Instead, I came home and ate 2 chocolate covered pretzels weighing in at 140 calories a piece. SUCK ON THAT, New Years Resolutioners!

I'm ready for spring, that's all I have to say. It is too damn cold and I need some out door type activities. I'd hate to admit that my mood would be so effected by weather, but who knows. I'm honestly going to give biking a bigger shot this year, with planned adventures and maybe even some crazy stuff like biking all the way to work. Hey... dream big I say.

In other news, I'm contemplating moving my ginourmous TV out of the house. This is an alternative idea to selling or getting rid of it entirely. The reactions I've gotten have been anything from "that seems extreme" to "I grew up with no TV". So why on earth would I want to get rid of one my most joyous of purchases from 2006?

There are a variety of factors... that have been building over time. Everything connected to the TV has already been moved for Megans safety. I never bought any of the new next gen gaming systems, and don't even own a high def DVD player. Not to mention, all my DVDs are in the garage anyway.

The final straw was that recently my receiver died. It had been flaking out for awhile. But why buy a new receiver, for speakers that aren't hooked up, and movies I don't watch anymore? Why keep a TV in the house that is just an empty shell?

This is of course all just secondary to the real reason I want to get rid of it. A firm belief that the TV and/or movies have played a part in Megan's delayed language development.

My Mom tells me I'm crazy to think that, and that we just need to teach Megan limits. Maybe she's right. Maybe I'm just using the TV as a scape goat for my own failings. I'm told not to be so hard on myself, but how can I not?

The small part of me that still has access to logic, dictates that Megan will grow up. She will eventually communicate with the outside world. And one day I'll look back at this time and laugh at how worried I was. But that part is so small these days, and just seems overshadowed by self doubt.

The TV as it was in it's heyday:



The empty shell of today:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my friends son had delayed speech and it was really hard on her because all the other kids in the playgroup were talking (most of them were early talkers like Melanie). He did some kind of speech therapy until he was 3, at which age it was no longer free, and now at 4 and a half you would never know the difference. I would say even by 3 he had caught up. Rest assured, Megan will be fine! Part of the battle is knowing a problem exists and you know that. You and Andrea are clearly good, caring parents and you should not feel down on yourself for Megan's delayed speech. Some kids are just that way and there is nothing you can do about it while it is happening. But now she can be worked with to catch up to what is normal for her age and I'm sure you guys will do whatever you can to get her there. And she WILL get there - just be patient and enjoy watching her learn! :)