Sunday, August 03, 2008

And Then Some

Long weekend, and I can't think of a good place to start. It started with a hell of a Friday. One of the managers comes over to my cubical and basically says, "We need someone to do this thing, and you're the only one that knows how. And it's probably going to require weekend work. Good? Great."

On the one hand, it's good to know I'm useful. But on the other hand, I had serious flashbacks to working at Micron and it's 24x7 attitude towards it's work force. It took everything in me to remain calm and just get it done. In the end, I was able to complete it by 7pm Friday night, and had to do very little on Saturday. Still, the feeling of powerlessness left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I tried not to think about it too much the rest of the weekend. Saturday morning I headed out for a nice 11+ mile run. Went on a completely random new trek just for something different. Andrea's parents came over and spent the afternoon with us and Megan, which was very enjoyable. Saturday night Megan and I spent some time together and went to McDee's.

Sunday I went for another shorter run, followed up with a bike ride with Megan. She had been asking for awhile, and the weather was finally nice enough. We rode over to my Mom's house, met up with Andrea, hopped in the car and hit the zoo for a few hours. Then rode back home as she fell asleep. Tonight we just putzed around the house, the only excitement was when Megan tried to eat a cup of sand.

Anyway, just one last thing to share. I did end up getting another PR (personal record) on the 10k last weekend. My official time was 45:11. Unbeknownest to me, some friends caught a video clip of me crossing the finish line.



With 45:11 under my belt, my next goal will have to be the 45 minute mark. Will I see it this year?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People, you should have seen her crunching the sand, it gave me shivers.

Unknown said...

Hmm... I once tried to eat a thermometer. Stomach pumping probably ranks right up there with water boarding as far as I am concerned. Congrats on the personal best for the 10k. I have moved back to Mississippi and supposed to start school 2 weeks from today. I am still trying to figure out if I should laugh or cry.

Phad/Phil

Anonymous said...

I've been there with the kids eating sand - so gross. Has she stuck anything up her nose? When Melanie was not quite 2 she stuck a Kix up her nose. Last week Luke stuck a Polly Pocket shoe up his. Parenting is sooooooo fun. :)