Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where to begin

How about let's begin this vacation shall we!? 5 days off... Seems like a lifetime since I've had a long break. The worst part is I'm sitting on 120 hours of time off (3 weeks!) and even more in personal days and sick time. Why can't I just get sick more? Sucks being so damn healthy all the time...

So tomorrow we head up north, to the company sponsored vacation at Maddens resort. This will be my third year at Maddens, although the first year with this company. Funny how things work out like that. This will also be our first long vacation with Megan. I have high hopes that it turns out to be a fun weekend for everyone, but I do worry about Megan not having enough to do. Andrea is out looking for odds and ends to help out with that.

At work this week, they officially put out a request for volunteers to do 24x7 on-call support, specifically for the area of software I work on. Kind of funny, considering how I JUST mentioned that two posts ago. At this point, it's at the volunteer stage, and at least at this company there is extra compensation involved. But I had ZERO interest in it... I put in my 6+ years of 24x7 support, I'm not about to go down that path again. The question now is, how long until "volunteer" becomes "mandatory"? My guess? 4 months or less. My prediction is that I will be forced to on-call by the end of this year.

With the threat of 24x7 support looming, I'm trying to think of the positives. 5 days without work, with more fun things coming up next week. Got D&D lined up, and another free night out at Mystic hotel the following weekend (Once again courtesy of Grandma Gayle). After that, at the end of the month, I will be attending what in all likely hood, will be the last ever bachelor party I ever go to. (as in, I don't know anyone else that isn't married, that would invite me to a bachelor party).

I could have sworn there was even more going on this month... what was it again? Oh ya... 9 years of marriage! Almost forgot that one. :-)

Side note, after posting this blog I realized I used this same blog title back in 2005: Where to begin, 2005

No comments: