Thursday, December 01, 2005

Where to begin

This first week going back to work was much harder then I thought it would be. And the sad part is, I had the easy job. No matter how much I try to rationalize the concept of working, I can't shake that feeling... that life is so much more then work. I think Office Space said it best:

Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to 8 different bosses drone on about mission statements.

I daydream sometimes about what life will be like for the "average" person in 100 years. 200 years? 500 years? At what point will the human race evolve beyond the mindless drones that we are today, beyond the concepts of consumerism and materialism. Will we even make it that far?

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on No. If there is one thing I am sure of, its that the human race has a finite amount of time left. Only question is when. Maybe a few thousand years or maybe we'll last long enough to watch the sun engulf us. Whether we're destroyed by the environment like the dinosaurs or we find a way to destroy ourselves, our time will come.

So how far will we get? Will we last long enough to look back at today as "ancient history"? 20,000 years from now, when every thing that exists today is gone, built over hundreds of times, will archaeologists dig through our remains to try and uncover how we lived? Will they find some buried keyboard and wonder what it was used for?

During lunch at work one day, I posed a question to my fellow coworkers. If you could choose to live forever, as your current self, would you? They all immediately responded with a resounding, "No way!" So why was I the only one to say, "Hell yes!" To see the life and death of humanity would be well worth it in my book. Maybe living forever would actually allow someone to get a better perspective on the whole human experience.

1 comment:

brent said...

i hear you. i think one of the most meaningful and worthwhile things i have been able to take away from working for a living is: relationships. developing new relationships, talking to people from different backgrounds and education levels (most way higher than mine), learning about them and their families, and cultivating these relationships into friendships. the work will come and go, but the ability connect with other people and broaden my horizons through the eyes and experiences of all of those around me makes it worthwhile.