Thursday, April 02, 2009

Astronomical Odds

I know I promised no more negativity, but I just have to share this one. The night before we left on vacation, our washer blew up. Water coming out the bottom and all over the place. I even faked my handy man skills to verify it wasn't anything "simple" like a busted or leaking hose.

Long story short we replaced the washer last week after we got back from vacation. I'm 90% sure that the appliances we have are the originals that came when the house was built in 93, which would put the washer around 16 years old. That's actually typical life for a cheap washer. But then what happens? 2 days later, our dryer dies as well. The inside part stopped rotating.

What are the odds that both appliances just decide to break within a few days of each other? I don't know the exact percentages, but it has to be pretty small. Needless to say, I bought a couple lottery tickets today.

We do actually have some coverage on our dryer, so we will have someone come look at it on Monday (for free) and see if it is "fixable" for cheap. If it isn't (which I suspect it won't be) we already have another purchase lined up. Just lots more motivation to live here for a bunch more years, which became our plan sometime earlier this year anyway.

One funny thing about this whole thing was when I was cleaning the area under the washer before the new one arrived. I'm sweeping it up and I notice an item of clothing behind the dryer. I figured it was just something that had fallen back behind there, so I sweep it out only to discover it was a pair of women's underwear that definitely did not belong to Andrea. How long had that been there? Too funny.

No comments: