Thursday, April 30, 2009

One of those days

I know I promised to stay positive around here, but I can't help myself. The last couple of days have felt like... Well, the best description is a quote from the movie Dogma. I'll let the picture speak for me.



Here's a fun truth: there is always going to be negative forces coming at you. Someone will always have a differing opinion. Someone will always think you are wrong. Someone will always try to make themselves feel more important/better/powerful than you. Why? Because by and large, people are typically motivated by protecting their own self interests.

Are there exceptions to that statement? Of course. There are tons of people that are nice, honest, and don't always think about themselves first. Am I one of those people? Meh, jury is still out on that one.

So when I have those days, like recent events this week at work, how should I react? Should I strike back and fight fire with fire? Should I "rise" above the shit and pretend like it doesn't bother me? Or do I honestly stop for a moment and look at it for what it is: fake negativity.

See, work is just work. Despite anything else that has changed for me over the years, I still view work as simply a means to an end. People are going to come to work, and do whatever they do, based on their own personal motivations. Maybe they sit and browse web sites in their cube, maybe they work hard, or maybe they just suck at their job. Whatever it might be, it doesn't really matter in the end. Because a job is just a job.

It's ironic to hear myself say those words out loud, when I once heard them said to me, by a supervisor I had come to hate, when I informed him why I was quitting my first job. There is probably some deeper meaning there, but I don't have time to contemplate it. Megan is upstairs alone, getting into trouble I'm sure.

No comments: