Sunday, August 07, 2005

Would you look at that

After getting back from my weekend trip, I headed out for a quick bike ride even though it was kind of warm today. I wanted to visit my Mom and wish her happy birthday, and also I promised I'd tell her the name Andrea and I have picked out for the baby. (no, I won't tell you) On the way home, I felt like extending my ride out a little bit and ended up doing 13.5 miles. It felt great! After arriving home, I was met with a surprise.

(Feet covered with socks just for you Mike)

Just when I thought it would start to get a little harder to keep losing weight, I end up dropping another 10 lbs. One part of me feels like, "Why the hell didn't you start sooner! Keep it up!" And another part of me is just a little worried I'm losing weight too fast, and maybe it's not good for me. I'm not sure, I figure that when you have as much to lose as I do, it's probably normal. Even though 20 lbs seems like a lot, it's really not enough for people to notice. Well, except for my Mom. (Thanks Mom!) Fortunately, people noticing has never been on my list of motivational factors.

The truth is, I'm a bit afraid to admit my true motivation. Why? I don't know really, I guess it's simply because I've always believed that if you want to be healthy, you should do it for yourself. You shouldn't try to get healthy because someone else says you should or for some special event where you want to look better, or as I mentioned above, simply so people will notice. I'm sure you can guess the source of this new motivation, my pending fatherhood.

It's really a combination of everything I guess. From my desire to teach my daughter how to be healthy by example to simply wanting to be alive long enough to experience all I can about fatherhood. Do I wish I had been able to come to the simple realization that healthy = better on my own? Sure. But I've always been the type of person that doesn't seem to find change in my life until it is forced on me by some external event/force/experience/etc. (thus my alignment with Existentialism) I suppose it would make since then, that possibly the biggest event in my life is finally the motivation I needed. For now, I just hope I can keep it up and see where it takes me. Because tonight, I decided to cheat and enjoy a little Davanni's! (wheat bread, turkey sandwich with extra lettuce!) Although one book I read said you should stop using food as a reward, maybe I can get away doing it after every 10 lbs lost. :-)

2 comments:

Mike said...

HAHAHA, thanks for wearing Socks, man!

brent said...

nice job man! sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.