Sunday, December 11, 2005

Happy Baby

It occurred to me I haven't updated on our attempts to put Megan in the crib over night, so I thought I would report on that. Basically, it has gone very well. Andrea started her on a "routine" that we do every night. It involves a changing, a feeding and a swaddling. I was resistant of the swaddling at first, but after seeing how well Megan seems to sleep when swaddled, I've changed my mind. Sometimes we play a little baby music in the background to help put her to sleep, she seems to like that. Twice this week, Megan has slept for up to 5 hours a night. (rare, but it does happen) According to Andrea, that was long enough to declare her first "sleep through the night".

I keep thinking I will come home some night and Megan will have somehow changed, gotten to some new "phase" of baby-ness. Like all of a sudden she will be grabbing objects more or she will know that her hands exist. I realized today it's not like that. It's all so gradual that you don't even notice it. I keep expecting her to "look different" as she grows up, but it's not like that. She looks like Megan, and will always look like Megan. Whether she is 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years, she will always look just like she is supposed to.

It sounds dumb, I know but when your only experience watching a baby grow up is through your friends children, you have this notion in your mind that as they grow up they change. Because that's what your perception of it is, when you see a child every 3-4 months, each time you see them they have changed. But it's totally different from the parents perspective. Whatever the case, I just can't get enough of her smiles, that's for damn sure.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute smiley pictures!

Anonymous said...

It seems like she smiles the most in the mornings.