Tuesday, August 28, 2007

8 years

Where does the time go? I know I'm not the only person that feels like the older you get, the faster time seems to go by. Why is that? One person explained it to me this way: The older you get, every year is a smaller percentage of your life. I thought that was an interesting way of looking at it.

Today is mine and Andrea's 8 year anniversary! I felt kind of bad when I came home tonight to wish her happy anniversary, only to use the words "8 long years". I didn't mean to imply they have been long, but more to my own amazement that it has been 8 years already.

If I had to break down my life up into discrete parts, I would consider this the 5th act. Each act being separated by the major changes in my life. I'm pretty sure I can see act 6 coming. Maybe not soon, but it's definitely on the horizon. It's like your life has these decision points that are the major factor in what path the rest of your life will take.

When your younger, you don't quite realize you are at those major decision points. You just make them because you have to. As you get older, it seems like you finally start to realize the major choices and how much impact they really will have. There is no doubt in my mind that I wasn't fully aware of the impact Megan would have on my life, but I made the decision anyway. It was the best decision I ever made, and now I know with much more certainty what having another child would mean to me, my family, and really, the rest of my life.

At the same time, it kinda sucks when you realize that no matter how many experiences you have to draw from, hind sight will always be 20-20. And even when you think you are making the perfect decision, there is always a chance that when looking back, there will be something you wish you had done a little differently.

No comments: