Saturday, August 18, 2007

Runner Pretends to be Biker

I need to start my blog off on a more serious and sad note. You may remember that I mentioned my uncle, Jeff McMorrow, was going through cancer treatment. He passed away on Friday morning. I don't think I can even use the typical "lost his battle" with cancer, because honestly, it wasn't even a fair fight. It hit him very hard and fast. At least my family can find solace in the fact that he did not suffer long. Jeff, you will be greatly missed. And to my family, my deepest sympathies. Memorial Service information: 2 p.m. Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at Cremation Society of Minnesota, 4100 Grand Ave, Duluth with Rev. Bridget Strudwick officiating. Visitation 1 hr. prior to services.

This morning I had planned on going on a long bike ride. The weather made me rethink my plans, but at the last minute, I was invited to join a group of bikers. Our neighbors had invited us over for dinner, and the husband mentioned they were going out for a ride in the morning. I figured, sure sounds like fun. This way, if it did start raining, I would still be close to home.

Little did I know what I was getting myself into! We biked down to a meeting spot across from Walmart in Apple Valley. Everyone was on very decked out road bikes with the full gear, clothes, pedal clips everything. I got slightly worried... but figured, hey, I can run 12 miles for an hour and a half, I can handle this right?

WRONG.

The pace they were going was way above my abilities. Even drafting the back of the pack the entire time, I couldn't manage it. I was able to keep up for an hour, and then all of a sudden, I just looked up and I could hardly see the group. I tucked my tail in between my legs, turned around and headed home. Nothing like a little spanking to put you in your place.

On the plus side, it does go to show that if I do in fact want to do some kind of long bike ride event in my life (60 miles? 100 miles?) I obviously actually need to train for it. Just because I can run long distances doesn't mean I can bike long distances. Lesson learned, the hard way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle!! My thoughts and prayers are with your family!