Friday, August 24, 2007

Budget for Happiness

It's been a long week, and at the same time, a short week. The memorial services for my Uncle Jeff on Tuesday were very well done. The only way to sum up the entire day is "All of the Above". It was sad, it was happy, it was strange, it was emotional. I saw some people who, in my mind have always been part of my "Family" but for various reasons, I hadn't seen in many many years. The saddest part for me was obviously seeing my Mother in so much pain. On top of that, just being sad that a funeral is the only thing that would bring us all together again.

The rest of the week was work work work. Couple of long nights, but I still managed to get 3 runs in. It takes a little more effort, but I can do it! One more run tomorrow morning and then a day of rest.

Andrea sent me a very interesting article at work this week. I really recommend reading it:

Here's how to budget for happiness

It basically says what I've been thinking for a long time. Happiness = Experiences. It's also a big part of why it is so easy for me to save money. I've never really got much "joy" out of material purchases. Sure, I have my big TV and my fancy computer, but that's really all I need. Here is the best line from the article:

So write down your values and goals, and ways to achieve them. The list will not only give you a road map for spending your money, but also spending your time.

How to spend your time... What have I been posting about again and again on my blog? How to spend your time... There in, lies the rub. If Happiness = Expierences, you need to know what experiences will make you happy. The article captures that:

When planning a vacation, for example, use the goals as a guide but choose specific experiences you enjoy. A trip to Europe to view famous building architecture is a fine vacation, but might be a mismatch for an avid hiker and nature lover.

So what am I a lover of? What specific experiences do I enjoy? If I can't even answer that, than how can I hope to plan a vacation that will be an worthwhile experience? It seems like the answer is you have to take a risk to try something new, and see if you enjoy it.

Our cruise trip is a perfect example of this. On paper, it sounded like a great time. The reality was that it wasn't exactly the experience I was looking for. I wouldn't ever do a cruise again, unless it was a cruise built around some other experience I might enjoy. (maybe some kind of phyiscally active exursions?)

I'm not quite sure, but I think I have a starting point. Now to just find those experiences I know I'll enjoy, maybe mixed in with a few risk at something new I might enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree after just returning from a week long vacation to MN to visit family!!!