Friday, May 16, 2008

What makes the world go round

I said I was going to talk about my bike ride of last weekend, but now I'm just not motivated. The ride itself was an experiement to see if I could do some kind of half drive-half bike commute to work. Overall, I'd say the experiement failed. The ride was way to hard for something I'd want to do, and the alternatives were not appealing. I could drive a full 12 miles, then bike another 9? My normal commute is 18 miles... so I'd save 6 but spend 9 biking. Hmmm, maybe. Anyway, here is the route I did (there and back):



In other news, I've been starting to take some new perspectives on work lately. I think for awhile there I was getting caught up in the overall importance of it all. Because for the first time, I was at a job I actually somewhat enjoyed and wanted to stay at from a long term perspective. But it's quickly come apparent to me that I need to take a step back from all that, to get back to where I once was. Work is nothing more then a means to an end. I had those thoughts as far back as 2005, and I just need to get back to that. I'm going to live a large percentage of my life in a cube working on shit that has no baring/meaning/importance, and I'm okay with that. Because it's just what I need to do to provide the things my family needs.

I've posted my thoughts about money before so I guess I should stop rehashing the same old shit. I guess I just find it odd that 3 years later, it's just the same thoughts running through my head. What does that mean? Does it mean I hate how our society works? Does it mean I'll never be content working within the system? Or does it simply mean that no matter what I think, I'll forever be a slave to that system?

God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

3 comments:

spock74 said...

Whoo. That's some serious negativity. And apathy.

Anyway, I know for sure your wife knows I may or may not have had a crush on you because I may or may not have told her at her bachelorette party. And damn, do I wish I could find THOSE pictures.

Shawn said...

Is it really negativity & apathy? Or simply what is needed to survive the daily grind?

As the book, The No Asshole Rule states....

Passion is an overrated virtue in organizational life, and indifference is an underrated virtue.

Passion + Work = Incorrect.

spock74 said...

Sounds like excuses to keep from trying anything that might be a little scary to me.