Friday, May 02, 2008

Let the 4 day weeks begin

Survived another week. Not sure why I say it that way, it's not like my life is some kind of war zone. Yet some times it feels like a battle is raging... somewhere.

Quoting Wiki-pedia, the only source for information these days:

Over the past twenty-five years, there has been a substantial increase in work which is felt to be due, in part, by information technology and by an intense, competitive work environment. Long-term loyalty and a “sense of corporate community” have been eroded by a performance culture that expects more and more from their employees yet offers little security in return.
Translation? Work people to the bone and then get rid of them when they are no longer useful.

Fact: I've been the lowest rung on the corporate ladder for 10 years (come June)
Prediction: I'll probably remain the lowest rung on that ladder for 30 more (if I can even last that long?)

Fact: I've never been fired, laid off, or otherwise given any indication that my job was at stake. (I've even survived lay offs)
Prediction: I'll probably be fired, laid off, or otherwise let go at some point in my life.

Fact: At every single job I've had, I've had ZERO of the skills actually needed for the job.
Prediction: I can probably adapt to any job as needed in the coming years.

Why do none of these facts or predictions make my stress any less? You'd think that by now, I'd have a good sense of my career "path", yet it's clear to me that in fact, there is no such thing.

Work is not a path I feel a need to walk down, it's a path I'm forced to walk down. The fact that human existance in our life time is centered around work, money, collection of wealth/meaningless things just makes me depressed. I don't want to be a part of that system, but there are no alternatives. (aside from winning the lottery?)

I don't know where I was going with this rant, other then the fact that when you start to spend only 3 hours a night with your family you start to question the point of it all. Existing only for the weekends is not good by any stretch, but sometimes it feels like that's all I have.

Enter the 4 day work weeks. For the next month, I've lined up some days off so that I have to be at work only 4 days every week. It includes two 4-day weekends, and I'm looking forward to it. I probably should be taking more time off work, but for whatever reason, I find myself in a situation where I have to "burn" time off. Meaning, if I don't use it, I'll lose it. Pretty sad, I know.

If I could survive on half the income I make, and work half the time, I would. Too bad that's not really an option either. Maybe I need to start doing the research now into the career "path" I will actually retire with. Because despite Peter Gibbons question of "What if we're still doin' this when we're 50?" My answer isn't quite the same as Samir's response of "It would be nice to have that kind of job security."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came to see piggies darnit!

spock74 said...

See, there's this big secret that they don't tell you when you're going to college. Just because you get a degree in a certain area doesn't mean you have to actually WORK in that particular industry. Having a bachelor's degree makes you employable in any number of careers. Just because you have a "computer science" degree doesn't mean you have to be a "computer scientist". You could work at Target, or start your own business, or work for a non-profit, or do boring data entry or whatever. Use your imagination, I know you have a pretty good one.