Thursday, July 14, 2005

Birthing 101

Andi and I started birth classes this week! 6:30 - 9:00pm every wed night for 8 weeks. That’s 20 hours of class. Why do I have this feeling we will be in class longer then the actual labor? The first session started out with way more medical information then I needed, I felt like I was in 6th grade sex ed. It was interesting to learn about the various positions the baby might be in prior to birth, but again - sometimes more information isn't really the best thing. All it does it give you more things to worry about, which Andrea has covered for both of us. (trust me)

There was one brochure for Dads that I read through. It mentioned something I thought was pretty interesting. It said how no one ever asks how the Dad is feeling. Everyone will always ask, "So how is Andrea doing?" or "How is your wife feeling?" This is probably because its more of a social norm to ask about the Mom and ignore the Dad. But it brings home for me how easy it is for Dads to not feel involved at all during the whole child birth process.. aside from... you know, the initial step.

And whoever decided that laying on some hard ass floor on a blanket during birth classes was a good idea, should be shot. Luckily, it was only the last 20 minutes, but it was still annoying as hell. By the time we got up, half my body had gone numb. Andi said it felt like we were in kindergarten nap time.

No comments: