Saturday, July 02, 2005

War of the... Whatever

Andi and I saw War of the Worlds on Friday, and I felt compelled to write my first movie review. I'm going to go against mainstream here. This movie sucked. And I'm not just saying this because of Tom Cruise's recent behavior proving once and for all he is in fact, a giant idiot. This movie sucked for a variety of reasons. First off, the fact that I had seen it before. It was called ID4, staring the Fresh Prince. Now granted, ID4's ending hinged on a plan to upload a computer virus to an alien technology using a modem connection from a Macintosh laptop... but that was still way better then War of the Worlds.

Secondly, there was no plot to speak of. Okay, fine, there wasn't supposed to be much plot? Then how about something other then explosions? After about the 10th exploding [insert random object here] I was really bored. Okay, we get it, you can make a movie with nothing but special effects. We already learned this lesson from Star Wars Episode 1, 2 & 3. Two hours of explosions, a good movie does not make.

Finally, there were so many scenes that just made no sense. For example, how come after the aliens use a huge EMP device to knock out all electronics in a very large radius, a car will start after replacing a "solenoid"? Why do the aliens need to catch and eat humans? Why the hell would BIRDS fly around and land on an alien space craft? I won't even get into how ineffective their "plan" was for destroying earth. I mean, seriously, if you are an advanced civilization attempting to destroy the earth, you'd think they would come up with something better then a giant laser that kills one person at a time. Maybe they should have watched ID4 for ideas on how to destroy mass amounts of humans quickly. Or they could have just checked out my favorite list for ways to destroy the Earth.

The only redeeming quality to this movie was the fact that I saw it for free using movie passes Andrea got from work.

Rating: 2 out of 10

No comments: