Thursday, July 21, 2005

Bloody Show

Last night started out a bit weird. As I got home from work and sat down to enjoy my latest edition of PC Gamer magazine, I found that reading was difficult. It started with little blotches around what I was reading. I could see the word I was looking at but it was getting hard to see any words around it. I chalked it up to being tired and put the magazine down and headed up stairs to enjoy a nice salmon dinner Andrea had prepared. As dinner progressed, so did my vision problem. Eventually it got so bad that I couldn't see my hand moving 6 inches out and 6 inches down in front of my face. I tried to remain calm even though I was sort of freaking out. As we headed out to child birth class it finally started to go away, but it was replaced by a massive headache. It was then that I realized, I've just experienced my first migraine! Luckily it was minor and I was able to get through the rest of the night. I could still feel a dull pain this morning when I got up, but I think for the most part the worst has passed. Now the question is, why would I get a migraine like that all of a sudden?

I know you are dying to know what I learned in child birth class this week: The Bloody show, soft bowel movements, and diarrhea. All the best parts of child birth! I just don't think Andi needs 8 weeks of constant reminders of the pain and ugly parts of childbirth. I think everyone pretty much knows that it isn't an easy process, but what good things in life are easy?

At one point we separated by sexes to do an exercise. We had to make list of "Joys" and "Concerns" about everything, from before, during and after childbirth. The first thing the guys put on the "Concerns" list was Money. Interestingly, the second thing on the "Joy" list was - Time away from work. So I asked this room of about 12 guys, how much time everyone was taking off work? The answers were, "1 week", "2 weeks", "a few weeks". When someone asked me, and I responded, 2 months, the entire room basically looked at me and said, "WHAT?", "How can you do that?", "2 months?! NO WAY!". When I mentioned FMLA, they basically looked at me like I was crazy because "that's unpaid!" It must suck not being financially responsible.

Or as my brother would say, the cheapest bastard he knows.

1 comment:

brent said...

thats funky (the vision).
at work my computer monitor goes blurry sometimes. the people i work with knew about it, but tried to act like it was perfectly clear to them. i was a little freaked out for a while ("i can't see i can't see!").