Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hard Lessons

There are some things in life you just have to learn the hard way - by experiencing it yourself. This weekend, I was fortunate enough to have one of those situations. On Saturday morning, I did a 10 mile practice run over the course of the actual 10-mile course. We started around 8am, so the weather was great (no rain!). However, it was a little more humid then the last run I did, so the end result was this:



OUCH! Thankfully, the buddy I was running with said the same thing happened to him the first time he started running long distances. I guess it's like a rite of passage or something. Needless to say, my shower hurt like a S.O.B. I will definitely be bandaging my poor nipples for next weeks race.

After the run, Andrea and I headed to the Edina Grill. Due to a technical error by my henchman Mustafa, I miscalculated the time the run would take, so I caused us to be about 45 minutes late. Tensions were running high as we arrived, but thankfully they still let us in.

As we sat down, we still weren't quite sure how this "free lunch" was supposed to work. What could we order? Where there any limits? Turns out, there weren't any! We could order anything off the menu, and it was all free. And if that wasn't enough, we could also order TWO free alcoholic drinks, EACH!

Well, even though it was still before noon, I'm not one to turn down free drinks. I ordered a "Moscow Mule" and an "Evil Cow". The first drink was a mix of ginger beer, vodka and lime. It was... not so good. The Evil Cow however, was a very yummy chocolate martini type thing. MMMmmmm good. Andrea had a Margarita and Heineken. Nothing like free booze to ease over any left over tensions from the morning.

We started out with some Perogies, little dumplings stuffed with potato and cheddar cheese. They were very good. For lunch, Andrea first eyed the Salmon Mac & Cheese. Apparently, so had a lot of other people because they were out! So she went with a Smoked Salmon Scramble breakfast thing. 20 minutes later, they came out to tell us they were out of that also. Why didn't they just say they were out of Salmon? Anyway, at that point she switched over to the Chicken Enchiladas.

Someone had told me that the Turkey Burger was really good, so I took a chance and just ordered it. The menu described peanuts, jalapeno, onion and garlic all mixed together in the meat... so I was a tad worried. But someone earlier that morning said I should try new things, so I didn't even try to "plain" it up. I just ordered it as is and gave it a try.

Turns out, EVERYTHING was just awesome. The burger was really yummy & spicy all at the same time. I gave Andrea a bite, and she quick had to take another one! The fries were huge thick cut jo-jo fries. The chicken enchiladas Andrea got had to be good, cause she finished it all!

If we lived closer, I think we'd definitely go back if for no other reason to try a few of the menu items. As it is, being that it's 20 minutes away, I'm not sure. Perhaps as a special occasion dinner, as a larger group sometime in the future. I feel like I owe them for all the great free food.

Coming tomorrow... Megan Dance, vol 2!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little "Shout" will get those nasty stains right out! I remember the first time I saw John putting band-aids on his nipples and I thought he had lost his mind. Little did I know....

brent said...

ha ha ha!!! been there done that, as we discussed. hehe. stock up on some water-proof band-aids.