Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tech Toys vol 2

Long time ago, when I first started riding my bike I bought a tech gadget to help motivate and push myself. Well, now I'm trying the same thing with my running. Behold, the wonders of technology!



This first use of a heart rate / running monitor was pretty successful. The graph is a bit "perfect" because of the fact that for my first use, I ran on a treadmill. I first had to calibrate the monitor to my "average stride". I choose a 6 min mile pace to calibrate, then ran at that same pace for another 20 minutes. My pace is the lower line. The upper line is my heart rate, which started around 130 bpm going up to 160 and then bouncing between 150-160. At the 20 min mark, I increased my speed to 7 mph, and as you can see my pace went down and my heart rate went up, peaking around 180 until I finished with a little cool down.

Two words: TOO COOL!

Now I'm just a tad worried I'm going to get addicted to it. I'm really excited to use it on my runs around work, and find out how far I'm going and at what pace. I just have to watch myself and make sure I don't try to push too hard. Last week, my training schedule called for 4m, 3m, and 6m. I ran 6m three times instead. This week is my "fall back" week and I'm supposed to be taking it easy. I've already done 2 days in a row of 3 miles, and I'm running again tomorrow night!

I guess if my body is okay and not in any pain, it must be alright with what I am doing. But after this week I'll be starting some of the longest runs I've done. So I don't want to do anything that might cause injury or problems this close to the 10-miler.

Oh ya, speaking of races... In addition to my running this week, I also have the 30-mile St. Paul Bike Classic this Sunday. Pretty sure by Monday next week I'm gonna be friggen beat. Nice.

1 comment:

brent said...

glad you got it to work. after using one for 2 or 3 years, i can't think of a whole lot of downsides to being "addicted" to it. they are a pretty cool tool.