Sunday, September 03, 2006

Poker Night

I guess technically, I could call this my "2nd Annual Poker Night". Not quite sure I could handle more then that every year, mainly because I know I will never win. The tournament tonight went MUCH faster then last year, I'm not quite sure why. I guess part of it was that we increased the minimum bids at a much faster pace. What is really funny to me, is that just like last year, I made it to the final 3 and then went out right away.

The thing I felt really bad about this year, was I went all-in against my brother, and won. (essentially knocking him out of the game) I really didn't want to do it, because it was my brother, and so I said, "I don't want to go all in." and Scott took that to mean I didn't have a good hand (which I did), and so he called me, when he might not have. Ohhh the crazy psychology that goes on in Poker!

As I mentioned, we finished much quicker then last year. We were done by 9pm! That's pretty fast considering last year we were pushing midnight. The other thing we did differently this year was "Winner takes all". No 2nd or 3rd place prizes. The winner went home with $140 bucks, so not a huge amount of money. I heard one of the guys tonight recently played in a game where the winner went home with over $1000 bucks. Little too rich for my blood!

I think everyone had a good time, I just wish Poker didn't have to have so many losers. I actually feel guilty for organizing an event that causes people to lose money... but then I remind myself, that's the whole damn point! Ahhh the burden of a guilty conscious.

No comments: