Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fake Choices

The week has gone by surprisingly fast. Normally the first week after a long weekend is really slow. I suppose looking forward to the Bob Seger concert last night helped - and also my D&D group is meeting this Saturday night, so looking forward to that also has the week going by quickly.

Tuesday morning Andrea took Megan to the eye doctor. The gist is, they determined that her vision is fine. She does have some form of "lazy eye". I am not sure if they can actually diagnose if it's Strabismus (wandering eye) or actual Amblyopia (lazy eye). Either way, the treatment for both is the same - eye patch time! Our first pass will be eye patch for 1 hour a day for 6 weeks. I've read that this can end up going on for months, even a year or more. I can only hope that it doesn't have to last that long...

Enough bad news! Tuesday night, my brother and I went to the Bob Seger concert. It was excellent!! Our seats were awesome, the music was great. The crowd was very diverse, although there were quite a few Seger look alikes... my Dad would have fit right in with that crowd. At one point someone lit up a joint down our row a bit... I heard the women behind me say, "It's like Where's Waldo. Where's the joint?" And then another woman standing next to Scott turned to him and asked, "Are you smoking pot?" He couldn't tell if she was asking in shock or because she wanted a hit. Too funny.

I started thinking today about the choices in our lives that aren't really choices. Like choosing to get up and goto work in the morning. You might moan when the alarm clock goes off and say to yourself how you wish you didn't have to goto work, but there is no choice. I started thinking about other fake choices we make. It occurred to me that exercising has become a fake choice for me. I've finally been doing it so long that it's no longer something I choose to do. It's just something I have to do, like going to work. This is good and bad. On the good side, it means I'll keep on doing it just like going to work. On the bad side, it means I really have ceased to get any real enjoyment from it anymore. It's just one line item on my daily list of obligations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So are you saying that your Dad used to smoke weed?

Anonymous said...

That's our family secret!

Shawn said...

Actually it was more the aging, overweight, bearded rocker image I was referring to...